Does fertilize pay off?

/ Does fertilize pay off? #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Here's a couple pictures ... the second is in an area where I turned around and the buggy missed it ... same field. I'm 6'2 so you can compare.

The back ground of the first picture is a 5 acre mule pasture with no fertilize.

Attachments

• 101_7718.JPG
    101_7718.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 101_7719.JPG
    101_7719.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 291
   / Does fertilize pay off? #2  
Wow! Can't show results any better than that.

Of course, I'm really kicking myself now because I've been putting off fertilizer so far this year thinking wait and see how it starts looking. I have more of an issue with weeds right now to get under control before I start fertilizing.

/ Does fertilize pay off?
Wow! Can't show results any better than that.

Of course, I'm really kicking myself now because I've been putting off fertilizer so far this year thinking wait and see how it starts looking. I have more of an issue with weeds right now to get under control before I start fertilizing.

A few years ago I had the weed issue ... so I started using liquid fertilize with a pint to the acre of Grazon. I would rotate that ... one year liquid, the next granular ... now with the weeds under control its all granular.

Forecast is looking like a window may open with no rain chances next Tues, Wed, Thurs and Friday ... if it holds I've got 160 acres ready to cut. The cutters are ready as well as all the other equipment ... I'll do most of the cutting at night and bale during the day.

/ Does fertilize pay off? #4  
Looks great! I posted just a bit ago on your thread wondering. Is that winter grass/ rye/oats?

To get rid of weeds, I always used liquid on the 1st fertilization each year, also with 2,4-D, then followed after each cutting with the granular. I also tried to burn my fields off each March if the weather cooperated.

BR, looks great, you may get as much the 1st cut as allot of folks got all of last year.

/ Does fertilize pay off? #5  
Assuming it's fertilizer, it sure looks like it does!

Of course that low spot could be a vernal pool, or underlying ledge, or maybe too much roundup last year, or a number of other factors.

/ Does fertilize pay off? #6  
A few years ago I had the weed issue ... so I started using liquid fertilize with a pint to the acre of Grazon. I would rotate that ... one year liquid, the next granular ... now with the weeds under control its all granular.

That's pretty much my plan for right now. As I am just getting into this though I'm trying to piece together a spray rig to get me started. Probably going with simple boomless setup just to get started. I just need to get it sprayed for now.

And congratulations on getting started with Hay Buddy. I've talked to you briefly about it before and still have plans to maybe stop by and see when passing through later this fall.

Good luck with weather window :thumbsup:

Looks great! I posted just a bit ago on your thread wondering. Is that winter grass/ rye/oats?

To get rid of weeds, I always used liquid on the 1st fertilization each year, also with 2,4-D, then followed after each cutting with the granular. I also tried to burn my fields off each March if the weather cooperated.

BR, looks great, you may get as much the 1st cut as allot of folks got all of last year.

That is winter rye grass and the spring clover went nuts in it this year. Should be a heck of a good cutting.

Of course that low spot could be a vernal pool, or underlying ledge, or maybe too much roundup last year, or a number of other factors.

Well could be other factors .. I don't think so cause the rest of that field is the same (except where I turned)

That's pretty much my plan for right now. As I am just getting into this though I'm trying to piece together a spray rig to get me started. Probably going with simple boomless setup just to get started. I just need to get it sprayed for now.

And congratulations on getting started with Hay Buddy. I've talked to you briefly about it before and still have plans to maybe stop by and see when passing through later this fall.

Good luck with weather window :thumbsup:

My sprayer is the boomless setup and I like it ... I need to move up from the 125 gallons to about a 500 gallon pull type.

The Hay Buddy is doing well ... another set just left to Waco and a set ships next week to Kansas ... hope you make it this way!!!

/ Does fertilize pay off? #8  
What kind of grass are we looking at? Have you ever tried to do a cost analysis factoring the cost of fertilizer and the increased productivity compared to what your productivity would be without fertilizer and the extra cost?

Another question for you. How do you determine when to replant versus just fertilize? I'll be glad to help you with painting if you can help me with haying. :thumbsup: We have been farming for generations. I am just trying to find a way to make it somewhat profitable.

What kind of grass are we looking at? Have you ever tried to do a cost analysis factoring the cost of fertilizer and the increased productivity compared to what your productivity would be without fertilizer and the extra cost?

Another question for you. How do you determine when to replant versus just fertilize? I'll be glad to help you with painting if you can help me with haying. :thumbsup: We have been farming for generations. I am just trying to find a way to make it somewhat profitable.

That is winter rye grass ... I seed it every fall for this purpose. Around Sept. 15th ... I get about 45-60 days of grazing then I pull the stock out and let it come on for baling. My fertilize program goes by the soil test with the current and the future grass ... by that I mean I want that early cutting of rye grass for cash flow and get it off in time to get the sunlight to the bermuda ... then I hit it again with fertilize for the bermuda. A cost analysis is a difficult thing to factor (I think) so many variables, current ground moisture, actual future rain, type of grass, cost of fertilize... production this year will be better than last year.

Following a soil test on an annual bases you will see results ... for example it will take more fertilize the first few years as you build a base as it will in the later years

I do know this I'm liking waht I see and I'll really like it when its all baled up!!

Here's some more pictures I just took ...

Attachments

• 101_7722.JPG
    101_7722.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 153
  • 101_7723.JPG
    101_7723.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 101_7726.JPG
    101_7726.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 122