Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Default Re: There is poison ivy, and there is POISON IVY

Wow thats some thick PI vines - I ate it as a kid, rolled in it, and never got it until mid twenties.

Then two years ago I got it systemically - it was in my blood - thats got to be the worst - it would pop out anywhere and everywhere every few days somewhere new. Never had anything like it. Finally I got prednesone pills and killed it once and for all but it took two weeks.

Cut it down when possible then keep mowing and spraying it to kill it.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1510

Whatever you do, DON'T BURN IT!!!
    26 gal Femco 12v trailer sprayer
    2000 52" Great Dane Surfer (18hp Kohler Command)
    2010 John Deere Z920A 54" (26hp Kawasaki)

The decisions you make will determine whether you win... or lose.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I have heard that Samoan's are immune to PI.. I don't know if this is true or not.

James K0UA
    James KØUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

I'm 30 and have never had it. Even touched some this weekend to show my buddy it doesn't affect me. He said his g'pa was "immune," too....until they burned some and he almost died. No signs on the body, but his lungs and whatnot were messed up badly.

Hope I continue to be "immune" as I never even think twice when around the stuff. "Cow itch vine" and the other culprits around here don't affect me, either.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Tractor
    2 Allis Chalmers WD, Case SC

Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    maybe - but not to those who are immune.
    Yup, me too. I can walk through it, cut it down, mow it and never have gotten poison ivy

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800

For years I could roll around in the stuff and never get it. Then about 4 years ago, I got a case of it and now every time I look at it, I get it. I've got it right now from walking around at my brother's property Sunday. I almost always have to get a shot of cortisone to finally get it to dry out and clear up.

My property (not at my house) has poison ivy everywhere. I cut all the vines 2 years ago from the bases of the trees, and I mowed and mowed. Guess what, it's still there and regrowing up the trees at lightning speed. Don't know how to get rid of it. I get it every time I bush hog there and never get off the tractor. I hate that stuff!

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Quote Originally Posted by tractorshopper View Post
    For years I could roll around in the stuff and never get it. Then about 4 years ago, I got a case of it and now every time I look at it, I get it. I've got it right now from walking around at my brother's property Sunday. I almost always have to get a shot of cortisone to finally get it to dry out and clear up.

My property (not at my house) has poison ivy everywhere. I cut all the vines 2 years ago from the bases of the trees, and I mowed and mowed. Guess what, it's still there and regrowing up the trees at lightning speed. Don't know how to get rid of it. I get it every time I bush hog there and never get off the tractor. I hate that stuff!
    I have your luck too. the stuff is just under the soil or leaf mass. it pokes thru and up comes a plant about 18 inches tall and nice and green. Then it crawls along and starts another. I was using 24d and some roundup, but its not totally killing it?I never want to be around any of it burning, it was horrible..
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

what actually kills poison ivy fairly easily and quickly? i swear the stuff never actually gets killed and just re-appears the next year.

is there certain soil conditions or temperatures, or something that might changed? or something? *look frustrated from felling itchy from just reading this thread*
    Ryan

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Yeap. you would think, that cutting it with an ax would end it. Not so with PI..Be sure to avoid the nasty oozze that comes from the cuts...I make the leaves roll up with various chemicals and diesel fuel mix, it still survives and spreads..
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor
    kubota M7040 &m7040

Poison Ivy never had any problems can roll in it,cedar and 100 other things-ALLERGIC go figure....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast