Tree Id needed

/ Tree Id needed #1  

johnk

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags
I cut down a tree I thought was an ash but after further review I don't know what it is. It was very stringy when splitting and the heartwood was quite red. Here are some pics and see what you think. DSC_0008.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

/ Tree Id needed #3  
I can't see the bark too well, but I'd say it's a hickory variety (maybe pignut, bitternut, or red hickory).

Does the heartwood have a hickory (bacon) smell?

/ Tree Id needed
DSC_0004.jpgDSC_0002.jpg
I can't see the bark too well, but I'd say it's a hickory variety (maybe pignut, bitternut, or red hickory).

Does the heartwood have a hickory (bacon) smell?

It really didn't smell like bacon and was quite moist. Here's a hi-res of the bark. I'm thinkin pignut hickory also. Click on the pic and then click it again and it should enlarge..The 2 on top should also go hires if double clicked..

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 182
   / Tree Id needed #6  
It is indeed hickory. Looking it up in my Trees of Ontario (They don't really know there is a border between us) it is either Bitternut or Pignut hickory. Either way it is great burning, rough splitting firewood.

/ Tree Id needed
2012-07-17_14-29-02_74.jpg2012-07-17_14-29-21_493.jpg2012-07-19_11-59-15_564.jpg2012-07-19_11-57-55_739.jpgNow that I know it's hickory I'll save some for smoking and the rest for the woodburner. I dragged out cut split and stacked about 6 face cords from last Monday to Thursday. The tractor pic shows part of the 1 Hickory trunk I dragged out..

/ Tree Id needed #8  
another vote for pignut hickory

/ Tree Id needed #9  
Now that I see the bark and leaves, I'd say definitely pignut, though I wonder about the nuts. Does the nut have ribs? How many?

Different hickories can hybridize with each other, so sometimes you will run across one that has features from two species! This one looks like pignut from the bark and the leave structure, but not sure about the nuts yet.

/ Tree Id needed
If you go back to post #5 and double click the top pic it will show you a close up of the nut. It appears to have 3 ribs....