Organic pest control....Florida

/ Organic pest control....Florida #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
This is my pest control team in action, this weekend.

IMG_5916.jpg

IMG_5913.jpg

IMG_5912.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

This time of year, all you have to do is drive around on the tractor and cattle egrets will find you. Also referred to as cow birds, these birds will eat anything that moves, if it fits in their mouth/beak. The consummate predator, if you are small enough, and you
have given up your location, you have no chance.
I have sat and watched these birds when focused an a meal of reptile, their tenacity is captivating. It's like a scene from Jurassic Park.
The tractor, after years of learning, is
associated with food as the egrets come down and feast on insects left exposed in the short grass. As long as you stay on the machine they don't recognize you as a threat.
Here in Florida we have lots of lizards, but 2 types dominate the population, Cuban brown Anoles and Florida Anoles.
The Cuban species are invasive and much faster. The Florida Anole although much slower has a distinct advantage....
Chromatophores.

These lizards are literally everywhere........ stay tuned for photos.
When these birds locate a lizard in a hedge or tree, the outcome is not in question, they are faster then you can see, and their eyesight is....well they are birds, they have telescopes for eyes.
The chase may continue for quite a while and the strategies are fascinating and desperate....lif and death if you will.
This is one of our many tree frogs.
IMG_5927.jpg

/ Organic pest control....Florida #3  
I assume the pollution they cause is minimal and biodegradeable.

/ Organic pest control....Florida #4  
Nice yard Robert! We also have the White Egret here, as you mentioned, commonly seen with cows and horses eating whatever the stock kicks up, heck I've even seen them riding on the back of cows!!

/ Organic pest control....Florida
Florida Anole

Floridaanole4.jpg

Floridaanole2.jpg

Floridaanole1.jpg

Cuban Anole
Cubananole1.jpg

Cubananole2.jpg