RDrancher's Photo Thread

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #171  
Thinking that the shaft in the injector pump may have broken. I'll know for sure tomorrow after the service guy checks it out. Hoping for something small.

About how many hours do you have on it?

I wish you luck on the small part! Nothing ever turns out that way for me.

I recently had to replace the injection pump in my truck and now it won't start cold. Pretty sure it's leaking fuel pressure somewhere but can't find any leaks. Makes me mad.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread
Thanks. Its around 2300 or so. I've dodged the bullet with this tractor quite a few times. Stuff diagnosed as spendy repairs turned out to be relatively inexpensive fixes. We'll see about this one, but I'm not too optimistic.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #173  
Thanks. Its around 2300 or so. I've dodged the bullet with this tractor quite a few times. Stuff diagnosed as spendy repairs turned out to be relatively inexpensive fixes. We'll see about this one, but I'm not too optimistic.

Well, good luck, whatever it is.

You must be living right to be fortunate enough to have help with you when it broke down. :thumbsup:

Hope you get back up and running soon.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #174  
John, the injector pump is run by lobes on the engine cam. It doesn't have a drive shaft or cam of it's own. I think if the cam was not turning due to something in its drivetrain, you would likely have had the engine lock up. I think the real possibility is that the rack is stuck in the off position. When you removed the c/o solenoid, the rack should have shifted, but it did not. I suppose it could be a problem with the governor linkage, but that will normally result in engine runaway or over-revving. I don't think there's a problem inside the injector that would have caused this on all three pumps except if the rack is out of position and the pump is remaining in cutoff. I guess Glenn at McMasters will let you know what he finds, but if I had to guess, I'd guess a stuck control rack.

Thanks for the info Jim. The shop was pretty full when I dropped off the tractor, so I'm going to let Glenn have another day before I bug him too much.

Finished up the the driveway today with the Kubota MX4700.

Third5.jpg Third6.jpg Third7.jpg Third8.jpgThird9.jpg

I don't like the tractor much, but I do like the 1000lb Gannon BB. Just wish it didn't have that danged tailgate.
Third10.jpg Third11.jpg

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #177  
Doesn't the tailgate have latches so you can pin it fixed? Both of my blades have flaps that allow the inner blade to dig and the rear blade to float. Mine also pin down for extra spreading, but I usually just let them float.

Yes, it had the pins to secure it, but the nuts were rusted onto the studs so bad that I thought I'd twist the threads off trying to remove them. I sprayed them with some PB Blaster when I got home, so we'll see if they move better in the morning. Personally, I don't like a floating tailgate for gravel work, especially pure stone. Since gravel is what I work with most of the time, I could do without the tailgate just fine. Also, I've found that when back-blading most materials the non-floating tailgate BB's seem to roll the material over and mix it better too. It's just a personal preference. Today when I back-bladed to catch the little nooks and crannies, the ledge behind the floating blade kept picking up stone and then depositing it in the street. Extra cleanup work = no happy Johnny.

Another little driveway expansion and topping job.

Making a mess so I can fix it.
Ray1.jpg

Did some grading, and wheel rolled it. Then ripped up the existing base and spread it over the whole area and wheel rolled it again.
Ray2.jpg Ray3.jpg Ray4.jpg

Then topped it with road base and wheel rolled it again.
Ray5.jpg Ray6.jpg

John, the injector pump is run by lobes on the engine cam. It doesn't have a drive shaft or cam of it's own. I think if the cam was not turning due to something in its drivetrain, you would likely have had the engine lock up. I think the real possibility is that the rack is stuck in the off position. When you removed the c/o solenoid, the rack should have shifted, but it did not. I suppose it could be a problem with the governor linkage, but that will normally result in engine runaway or over-revving. I don't think there's a problem inside the injector that would have caused this on all three pumps except if the rack is out of position and the pump is remaining in cutoff. I guess Glenn at McMasters will let you know what he finds, but if I had to guess, I'd guess a stuck control rack.

I dodged the bullet once again Jim.

Glenn had them remove the injector pump and they found the problem right away. When the injector shop (who's name I shall never mention again) replaced all of the o-rings and washers in the pump they didn't put the linkage pin for the rack on correctly. The pin fell out so the linkage wasn't even hooked up. After they hooked it back up they ran a pressure test and found that the lift pump was pretty weak, so they replaced that too. Whew!