RDrancher's Photo Thread

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #21  
I've enjoyed looking at your pictures. I grew up across the lake from you in Pilot Point, but that was a looooooong time ago. I forgot how flat it is there.

Andy

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread
I've enjoyed looking at your pictures. I grew up across the lake from you in Pilot Point, but that was a looooooong time ago. I forgot how flat it is there. Andy

I do quite a bit of work in Pilot Point, mostly for new homes. Ya...it's all pretty flat. :D

Here's a few from a 40 yard driveway today. The home was built in the late 1800's. The driveway looked like it was just a little newer.

Stuart01.jpgStuart02.jpgStuart03.jpgStuart04.jpgStuart05.jpgStuart06.jpgStuart07.jpg

Nice work!! I understand being "picky" I am picky when working for others, but seemed to waiver on my personal projects, IDK why Thanks for the photos,

I completely understand Western! I am of the belief that "perfect" and "adequate" should be a lot closer in the dictionary...

Great Pics!!! I really enjoyed seeing them and all the different types of jobs that you do.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! I try to keep all of the work equipment related, but every once in awhile a concrete driveway or retaining wall seem to slip in there. Hard to retrain an old dog I guess.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #24  
Hey RD, that right-hand quick-attach handle on your loader looks like something has been chomping on it. Has the lever been broken off since before you bought the tractor? Mine are a bit stiff at times, but I never used a cheater hard enough to do that.

Nice job on the driveway! That looks great. Did you do all that with one bobtail and pup load? I normally figure 10'W x 75' L for each load for new roads. That driveway probably had a base down in the dirt, so maybe 100' per load would be good.

Hey Jim...Figured someone had to notice the handle! It actually broke off during that blizzard we had a couple of winters ago. It was being stubborn and I gave it a few taps with a hammer to get it locked all the way in. I sandwiched the broken off handle between two sections of steel stake and welded it up. That held fine until last week.

You are correct, there was a little base left under the washout. The driveway took about 40 yards, or two truck and pup loads. I usually figure 3/4" rock and road base just like concrete...length x width x depth in inches divided by 324. Gets it real close. I make adjustments for other aggregates. For example, pea gravel goes a little farther and with chat / screenings you'll need a bit more. Just so you know, 3/4" out of Chico is running 3/8" crush up to 3/4". Lays down nice and compacts pretty hard without a roller if it's not put in too thick.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #26  
Beautiful work!

This is my 2nd season of maintaining the gravel drive and easement of our property in western WI. Up here, the drives usually have a base layer of larger breaker rock (limestone) for a base. 4-6 inch stuff. Otherwise the 3/4" will sink into the earth and disappear. You don't need it down in Tx? Is it because we have heavy frost up here?

Beautiful work!

This is my 2nd season of maintaining the gravel drive and easement of our property in western WI. Up here, the drives usually have a base layer of larger breaker rock (limestone) for a base. 4-6 inch stuff. Otherwise the 3/4" will sink into the earth and disappear. You don't need it down in Tx? Is it because we have heavy frost up here?

Most driveways here have a road base material down first. Its usually made up of 5/8" or 1-1/2" crushed rock and limestone fines. There are also driveways that have a utility rock like your breaker rock put down during construction and then were topped with road base. The former outnumbers the latter by at least 100-1. If utility rock is used with clean stone installed on top, they'll both usually disappear over time. The fines in the road base seem to hold things together longer. If I see enough road base present when I check out a job, I always give the customer the option of additional road base or stone. If there's not enough road base then they need road base plain and simple. For new driveways I try to educate the customer on the positive aspects of using geotextile, but getting folks to change from what daddy did is a hard sell.

Finished out the week with another driveway re-grade, four cross-driveway drainage pipes and six truck and pup loads of gravel.
Red Rock 01.jpgRed Rock 02.jpgRed Rock 03.jpgRed Rock 04.jpgRed Rock 05.jpgRed Rock 06.jpg

I'll be back at this property later in the year to do some clearing and mulching.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #29  
so have you figured out how to keep the green out it yet?