RDrancher's Photo Thread

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread
Since everything is soggy around here, I got to participate in the Get Schooled in Gravelology webinar today put on by the Gravel Roads Academy and Forester University.

Here's a couple of screen shots.
Gravelogy01.jpg Gravelogy02.jpg

Ken Skorseth gave an interesting talk on the use of liquid magnesium chloride for dust control and stabilization. The truck in this screen shot is traveling at about 50mph. Notice the lack of dust? Pretty cool.
Gravelogy03.jpg

Here's a link to the pdf file used in the webinar. Not as informative without the narration, but still interesting. Participants were encouraged to share it, so here it is. http://www.foresteruniversity.net/Slides/Get-Schooled-Gravelology.pdf.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #292  
John, they should have had you as a guest speaker.

John, they should have had you as a guest speaker.

I'm flattered Bob, but these guys are in a whole 'nother league. They deal mostly with County and Township roads. Some of the roads they talked about see hundreds of cars a day and look PERFECT after two or three years of use. That's impressive! I learned a lot...especially when they answered questions for 45 minutes or so after the webinar.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #294  
Dennis we are thinking the same; just figure some sort of plan and plant anything we can grow and save, store, can, smoke, perserve somehow; plans for a freezer full may be a real prolblem without electricty, and a generator has to have some type of fuel.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #295  
The little KX does a good job for its size, that's for sure. Big cedars and honey locusts with their small root system are a pushover. :D

Do you happen to have a link to the thread with pics of your biz and truck in it? I believe I saw one awhile ago. I'd like to revisit it.

Yes sir but I'm not smart enough to link. There are a couple on the "I want to start an excavation business" thread (pg. 4) and the "pictures of your snow weapons" thread" ( pg. 140)

Yes sir but I'm not smart enough to link. There are a couple on the "I want to start an excavation business" thread (pg. 4) and the "pictures of your snow weapons" thread" ( pg. 140)

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Edit:
There are a couple on the "I want to start an excavation business" thread (pg. 4)
That's the one I was thinking about. I remembered that we were having a conversation, but couldn't find the thread.

I have a friend that runs a consignment yard here locally. He's also an estate sale junky, so he always has some pretty interesting equipment to look at. He gave me a call the other day to let me know that he was going to have his first auction and invited me to clean out some junk and come on over.

Of course, when I dropped off my stuff I had to see what was out there that I might be interested in bidding on. First off, I spied a Gannon BB with spring-trip scarifiers still on a trailer along with some other attachments. Unfortunately, it was a 66" model...just like every single Gannon I've found around here during my 5-year search. Also on the trailer there was a King Kutter 84" landscape rake and a set of Bradco forks.

So yesterday I headed over to see if I could get the rake and forks for a good price. While browsing through the equipment that arrived after I left the day before, I see a JD tractor I hadn't seen. And what's that hanging off the back of it?...a 72" Gannon! As luck would have it, the tractor didn't get up to the reserve price, so I talked to the (very disappointed) owner and after a bit if haggling...made a deal on the Gannon. It needs some TLC and a couple of scarifier v-clips, but I'm a happy camper at $400.
Gannon01.jpgGannon02.jpg

I had to laugh when the same two guys bid the rake up to $370 and the forks to $800. Both attachments were pretty well used.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #298  
Hey John! I'll trade you a 5' Howse and a 66" unknown brand boxblade for that Gannon boxblade and give you $200 to boot. Deal???

Can't blame me for tryin' can you?:D

Can't blame you at all Jim! You don't happen to need a Bush Hog BB with bent scarifiers, do you? :D

Seems like I've been looking for the right BB forever. I don't know what's with all of 66" models around here, but I've seen quite a few.

I need to call AG-Power in Rhome tomorrow. I think they're the closest Woods dealer for parts. If they have to order them I may just call Messicks and have them shipped. I'll be working in Blue Ridge all next week (at the other end of the earth.) :laughing:

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #300  
Can't blame you at all Jim! You don't happen to need a Bush Hog BB with bent scarifiers, do you? :D

Seems like I've been looking for the right BB forever. I don't know what's with all of 66" models around here, but I've seen quite a few.

I need to call AG-Power in Rhome tomorrow. I think they're the closest Woods dealer for parts. If they have to order them I may just call Messicks and have them shipped. I'll be working in Blue Ridge all next week (at the other end of the earth.) :laughing:
You're gonna love the gannon- and you even got the scarifiers to!! I ended up with this one because a couple guys that the seller showed it to complained about it, because their cut's couldn't pick it up!!stump large- 004.JPG So he offered it for $250, Which i jumped at, but somebody cut out the hydraulics and no scarifiers. Still , think it was the best bargain of all of the used implements. Enjoy the box blade:thumbsup: