RDrancher's Photo Thread

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread
Installing a 2-into-1 culvert.

Bart01.jpg Bart02.jpg

Here's why I won't install homeowner / standard grade (read Home Depot/Lowes) ADS type drainage pipe....even if the homeowner wants it. I've replaced miles of this junk...crushed and full of dirt.

Bart03.jpg

Since my supplier sent the wrong custom t-wye (and the correct one was two weeks out), I improvised by slice-flaring and screwing one pipe to the other, then sealed it with mesh tape and a few layers of Sealtight tuck point mastic.

Bart04.jpg

Finished off the install with rip-rap entrances and exits. The stone is Oklahoma moss rock, which is a close match to the native stone on the property.

Bart05.jpg Bart06.jpg Bart07.jpg

Clearing out an overgrown property. I'll be back later to install a culvert and new driveway for their getaway cabin.

51 01.jpg 51 02.jpg 51 03.jpg

The vines had taken over and the poison ivy was thick. No handwork here!

51 04.jpg 51 05.jpg

While I cleared, the boys installed h-posts and a gate. It was so rocky that they had to use my electric jackhammer for the post holes.

51 06.jpg

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #363  
RDrancher, I'm getting tired just looking at your pictures. You are one working dude. It all looks good. If I had you here for a couple of weeks, the Larro Ranchero could be whipped into shape.

Hey guys. Since we've had a few days of rain and its still too soggy out to work, I thought I'd share my new project with you. My (new to me) 1956 Studebaker President Classic.

Stude01.jpg Stude02.jpg Stude03.jpg Stude04.jpg

I'd been looking for an old sedan or wagon to tinker on when this car showed up at the top of a long driveway at an estimate I was doing. The conversation with the homeowner went something like this...

Me...What's under the cover?
Him...A '56 Studebaker. You want to buy it?
Me...Maybe. (drops measuring wheel and heads for car). Whatcha want for it?
Him...A thousand bucks, or we can trade work for it. It ran great when my father-in-law parked it here in 1983. I haven't touched it since. I have the title.
Me...SOLD! :D

Here she is...heading to her new home. The driver from EJ's towing couldn't have been more careful. The guy was awesome!

Stude05.jpg Stude07.jpg

I swept / vacuumed / shoveled a 55 gallon barrels worth of acorns, what was left of the shag carpet in the trunk, and squirrel poop out of the old girl. My wife started on the interior, while I worked on the paint and started on the mechanicals. She's got new whitewalls mounted now too. The service record on the door shows that it was fully serviced at 77k and change and it has 78k and change on it now. All of the fluids were full, and no water in the oil pan at all. With the plugs out, it turned over by hand without a problem. This week, I repaired a few chewed wires under the hood, changed the oil, filter, belts and plugs. I also bought a special puller and removed the rear drums from the tapered axle, since the rear tires wouldn't move at all (parking brake locked up solid). I have to get a key made, and I'll take the radiator and gas tank to be steamed out before I try to fire her up.

I'll post a few photos of her all cleaned up soon.

Stude08.jpg Stude09.jpg Stude10.jpg Stude14.jpg

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #366  
That is one sweet ride you got there. I used to drive a 61 Chevy Biscayne. Those big old cars are grand. Keep the pictures coming.

That is one sweet ride you got there. I used to drive a 61 Chevy Biscayne. Those big old cars are grand. Keep the pictures coming.

Thank you!

That's a coincidence...I was really looking for a '61 Brookwood (Biscayne) Wagon, but wasn't having any luck. My mom's first new car was a 2-door, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree Biscayne and I fell in love with that body style.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #368  
My Biscayne had the big sideways wings. After I came home from the Navy, I lived at our little house by the pond. The driveway was a little three trail road almost half a mile long. One night after drinking too much, I sideswiped a small oak tree with the fin. It gouged out the oak pretty good, but didn't dent the fin. Those cars are solid.

I bought mine from my great aunt, and it was my everyday car. This was about 84 or 85, and I was only working part time. You know what kind of gas mileage those old flat sixes get, and I thought gas was high back then. I sold it to my cousin and bought something smaller. Wish now I had the money to hang on to it.

Good luck with your project.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #369  
Nice find! How on earth are you gonna find time to restore that classic! :thumbsup:

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #370  
Hey! I like that sexy pink. Are you gonna keep it that color? My dad had a '56 Dodge that was the same 2-tone pink/white and I had a '55 Desoto exactly the same color scheme. It was popular in the mid-50s. Our neighbor had a '57 Chevy, same color. . . .