RDrancher's Photo Thread

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #451  
Man , you keep them edges tidy!

Kind of amazing to me how he does that. But then again I always heard when you are really good at something you can make even the most difficult look easy.

I think us viewers of this thread need to request he post instructional video in addition to still pictures. :D

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #453  
The trailer you're seeing is a pup trailer. The driver dumps the pup, then jacknifes the setup and dumps the truck over the tongue. There's a rubber flap over the hitch so it's easy to clean off.

John, I think the action with the pup trailer must be pretty unique to our area. I was sure you would get questions when I saw your pictures. I've always been amazed at how accurately dumptruck drivers can jack-knife the pup trailers. I guess it comes from doing it thousands of times. Dumping the pup load and then jack-knifing and dumping the main bed's load right in front of the pup load is a talent that must be developed.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread
John, I think the action with the pup trailer must be pretty unique to our area. I was sure you would get questions when I saw your pictures. I've always been amazed at how accurately dumptruck drivers can jack-knife the pup trailers. I guess it comes from doing it thousands of times. Dumping the pup load and then jack-knifing and dumping the main bed's load right in front of the pup load is a talent that must be developed.

I think you're right Jim. On the West coast, transfer rigs are the norm and everywhere else seems to be tri-axles and quads. I wish we had more transfers, tri's and quad's here. There aren't many pup haulers that will take the time to unhook and back the truck into a jobsite. The guy in the photos will. He's a little more pricey than my regular hauling company, but he's worth it when the job calls for it.

And...to you guys wanting a video...I would, but the days I'm clean shaven, in clean clothes and coherent are few and far between! :laughing: ;)

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #455  

Is there a big advantage to that setup, as opposed to the tractor trailer dump set up?

Is there a big advantage to that setup, as opposed to the tractor trailer dump set up?

The only times I can think of that a truck and pup works better is if you need part of a full load in one spot and part in another, if you need a split load like half rock and half base etc. , or if the dumpsite is off camber making it dangerous to dump an end-dump (semi.)

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #457  
The only times I can think of that a truck and pup works better is if you need part of a full load in one spot and part in another, if you need a split load like half rock and half base etc. , or if the dumpsite is off camber making it dangerous to dump an end-dump (semi.)

Thanks for explaining :thumbsup:

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #458  
Transfers are great because you can haul a full 25 tons (or whatever's legal where you are) and still squeeze into a dump site that will only accommodate a 10-wheeler. Plus, dropping and re-hooking a transfer trailer is a cinch where with a pup, it's a major PITA. One of the few downsides to a transfer rig is you need a relatively flat and stable spot to 'transfer' and sometimes that is a bit away from the dump site.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #459  
And now you've got me all misty & nostalgic for my old blue girlfriend. I loved her so:

And now you've got me all misty & nostalgic for my old blue girlfriend. I loved her so:

Nice rig! I miss having transfers around here, that's for sure. There are a surprising amount of rural properties that don't have enough room between the ditches to get a pup trailer or end dump backed in. Good drivers are as scarce as hens teeth too, so I end up shuttling a lot of loads in from the road.