RDrancher's Photo Thread

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread
I got the machine back yesterday. As I suspected, it was one of the high range lines. While they were in there I had them replace the other lines too. $300 for parts...not labor.

I have my Kubota dealer checking into a trade. The Case is almost the exact size as the SVL90, but the extra 1000 lbs or so may force me to upgrade trailers. I don't need anything smaller and would prefer a 90 over the 75. While this latest problem was being taken care of, I missed a tier 3 SVL90 with 650 hrs., cab and high flow for $48k. :(

This driveway had quite a bit of base on it in spots, but the thickness was inconsistent and the grade was done wrong. Four potholes developed about 10" deep. I ripped it deep, then mixed the base and dirt together and regraded. I knew that the base and topping loads would arrive before I got the drive regraded, so I quick graded a couple of spots for them to dump.

JC01.jpg JC02.jpg JC03.jpg JC04.jpg JC05.jpg JC06.jpg JC07.jpg

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #603  
Hey John, you haven't forgotten about us, have you? Let us know what you have been up to.

Last edited:
The pic uploader was driving me crazy and I didn't have many responses to my posts so I let it lay for awhile. The uploader seems to be fixed so here you go.

Here's a pond that I dug. It was placed at the bottom of two ravines. I was on a time restriction and the placement was iffy at best. Several types of soil onsite, from powder sand to clay. All of the material had to be shuttled to different areas. Sand to the arena, junk for fill and clay for the dam core and bank, and the halfway decent stuff for covering the junk.
AL00.jpg AL02.jpg AL03.jpg AL04.jpg AL05.jpg AL08.jpg AL09.jpg

Since there were so many soils present, the customer was in full understanding that we may have to bentonite the pond at a future date.

AL14.jpgAL12.jpgAL18.jpgAL19.jpgAL22.jpgAL23.jpg

As I mentioned...I was on an owner induced time restraint. I wanted to dig an overflow channel, but time didn't allow. I wasn't too worried, since the dam area should have plenty of time to settle over the summer. After all, it never rains in Texas in the summertime...WRONG! :rolleyes: Fifteen inches of rain fell in this area over a twelve hour period a few days after I left. The water quickly rose to the the overflow pipe in newly compacted soil...the pipe couldn't handle the amount of water and my dam and pipe slowly sank down about five feet. :eek:

I decided to give the folks a freebee day (it was the right thing to do), rebuild the dam and reset the pipe (with a concrete collar this time). I also cut a generous overflow channel and thickened the dam by about fifteen feet or so.
AL24.jpgAL25.jpg

One of the track adjusters was leaking on my Case. A new adjuster assembly was just a few dollars more than the rebuild kit so my decision was a no-brainer. Looking at the larger seal and spring on the new unit, I think Case knew they had a weakness here. The repair was a simple minus-one hour proceedure.

Case Adj02.jpg Case Adj01.jpg

Here's what over $6k in drivemotor and main hydraulic hose/hardline repairs looks like. I think it should look more spectacular...but that's just me.

Case Fix02small.jpg

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #607  
Kind of boring, should be chrome at least. Good to see you post on the best thread in TBN.

Thanks Murph!

If you guys remember the lot I cleaned all of the boulders off of a couple years ago with the SVL75, here it is again with a new house on it. The owner had planned on me doing the finish grading and topsoil all along, but since the builder's guy only kinda did the drainage grading and put the driveway in over 8" low, he had me fix those things too. I scraped and separated the rock and base and had a load of concrete washout delivered to raise the drive and add a parking area. I had a semi-bad experience with a new dispatcher that sent out a new driver...that brought me uncrushed asphalt tearout...? The builder also delivered a load of base for free, so luckily I had enough material. Unfortunately...my first (short) load of screened topsoil looked like pad scrapings. I had a little conversation with the new dispatcher and straightened things out. :laughing: I fought off-and-on rain for the two days I was on this job...not fun!

Mustang21.jpg Mustang20.jpg Mustang24.jpg Mustang23.jpg Mustang22.jpg Mustang25.jpg

You'll notice that I had both the tractor and CTL here at the job. The tractor is more efficient and faster at cutting mowable swales and working with gravel, and the Case is faster at moving and grading. The job was only a mile or so from my house, so I took advantage of that and brought them both.

I had five semi loads of topsoil delivered to spread around the house and then power raked it all. The owner wanted to save some of the rock for rip rap. Kinda small, but that's what he wanted. He was on vacation so he started putting in downspout drains before I left.

Mustang29.jpg Mustang26.jpg Mustang27.jpg Mustang28.jpg Mustang33.jpgMustang30.jpg Mustang31.jpg Mustang32.jpg

It looks like the uploader is only "kinda" fixed since it's loading multiple pics in random order. :rolleyes:

And just so you don't think that Johnny's all work and no play, here's the Studebaker hanging out in the garage.
Stude.jpg
She needs new u-joints, a few interior screws and a new passenger window and crank, but more importantly, I need to install seatbelts for the family. She needs a bath too. Without a/c it's too hot to drive her right now anyway, so what to do???
Find another project! :D
Burb02.jpg Burb01.jpg
I couldn't pass up this 1985 Suburban for VERY cheap. New tires and a lot of new parts, only 79,000 miles, but more importantly...ice cold a/c! The two front seats need reupholstered, but the rest of the interior (including the third row seats) is in excellent shape. Like most GM products of this era, the clearcoat on the hood and roof is a bit rough. Thank the EPA for that. The rest of the paint shined up nicely after a little half hour TR3 massage.