A little tractor I built when I was 14

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #1  

Frank Surber

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 755c track Loader, John Deere 755bCase 431, Ford 2600, Taylor 25000lb forklift Ford 755 , Schramm 300 Pneumatractor, 8N Ford , Gravely 10A Kubota KH191, 1970 John Deere garden tractor with blade, 1985 John Deere 265 garden tractor Case 431
This is a small tractor that I built when I was 14 I had been working at the blacksmith shop for about 4 years and decided I needed a small tractor around the farm
at 14 one of my early builds  17 hp 4 x3x2 trans 8 reverses.jpg
The tractor has an old lambretta scooter engine I had cut off the right angle drive for the rear wheel at the back of the transmission then made a short shaft to connect the trans to a 4 speed transmission off of a 12 HP Western Auto rider mower then put 2 sprockets in the rear transmission back to the axle where I mounted 2 sprockets as idlers with a dog clutch between them this gave me 3 x 4 x 2 for a total of 24 forward speeds and 6 reverse top speed was around 20 MPH which could easily keep up with the larger Molines and big John Deers' we had
the small trailer you see in the front I made for my dad's riding lawn mower I even made a 1" ball hitch for it by using an old truck tie rod end

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #2  
Very cool

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #4  
That was mighty good experience to have at an early age. Great!

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14
What is a shame is this is the only picture that I have of it or the trailer
I made a pair of steel wheels for it out of old Mack truck rims and welded angle iron lugs on them we used it several times to pull start the big tractors especially the John Deere H

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #6  
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #7  
Good job.

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #8  
Thank you for sharing that Frank! I and others also, will look forward to seeing other things you have built. Welcome aboard! What tractor do you have now?

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #9  
Perhaps you should apply for the CEO position at John Deere... Nice work!

/ A little tractor I built when I was 14 #10  
That's a danged cool project for any age, all the more impressive that you were only 14! So, what did you end up doing for a living? Still building stuff?