Lake Superior

/ Lake Superior #1  

Bob_In_MN

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4010
My wife had one of her dogs entered in a show in Duluth this weekend, so we packed up the RV and parked at one of the local Marinas--they provide full hook-ups. Decided to take a couple of pics during our stay.

First Pic--looking out over the St. Louis River just before going down into Duluth.

Attachments

• 291662-Above Duluth.jpg
    291662-Above Duluth.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 432
   / Lake Superior
Friday we jumped in the car and headed North past Two Harbors MN. About 20 miles north is Split Rock Lighthouse. It has been out of service since the 1960's, but is maintained for tourists. The manager actually lives (with his family) in one of the 3 keepers houses. One other house was preserved to show how the keepers lived.

This shot is from some distance as we were approaching the lighthouse.

Attachments

• 291665-Split Rock 0.jpg
    291665-Split Rock 0.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 316
   / Lake Superior
Another shot of the lighthouse close up.

Attachments

• 291666-Split Rock 1.jpg
    291666-Split Rock 1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 273
   / Lake Superior
We walked down to the lake and I took a pic from below. In 1905 there was a storm so fierce that waves actually came over the cliff--there's still a ship wreck not far from the lighthouse that is great for divers.

All materials to build the lighthouse were brought in by boat and lifted up the cliff. There was a steam powered crane on the other side of the lighthouse from where this pic was taken. No roads existed in the early days so all keepers and supplies were brought in by boat.

Later, a tram was built (located about where I am standing when I took this pic. The tram replaced the steam crane that was toppled in a storm.

Attachments

• 291670-Split Rock 2.jpg
    291670-Split Rock 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 278
   / Lake Superior
I doubt this pic will turn out, but I'll attach it anyway. Thursday night, the fog started to roll in and I snapped a shot of the fog being illuminated by the lights on the lift bridge.

Attachments

• 291674-Lift Bridge.jpg
    291674-Lift Bridge.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 242
   / Lake Superior #6  
Beautiful countyside Bob. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Pristine environment and lighthouses are always interesting to learn about maritime history.

How did your wife's dogs do in the show?

...Bob

/ Lake Superior
Last Pic--caught this guy coming into port to pick up a load of something (I'm standing just outside the RV). All ships come through the lift bridge (located to the right of the pic). The entire bridge span raises straight up to accomodate any size ship.

Duluth and the North Shore in general are unknown to most outside of MN and WI, but if you are ever in the MN for any reason, it would be worth your time to drive up for a couple of days.

Bob

Attachments

• 291679-Ship In Port.jpg
    291679-Ship In Port.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 248
   / Lake Superior
Hi Bob

Thanks for asking--she didn't do much on Friday or Sunday, but Saturday she took reserve, which means there was one female dog the judge though was better. No points for reserve, but she's a young dog and is doing well for her age.

Bob

/ Lake Superior #9  
Bob -- That's a beautiful shot!!! The power of storms can be awesome! I well remember thinking the ocean was so calm...and then other days where blue water was hitting the bridge windows of the USS Callaghan, a magnificent destroyer that up till that moment I considered one of the strongest forces on earth! And another time on the USS Gurnard, a fast attack submarine, we heard metal grating sounds several miles away and investigated. Turned out to be a supertanker whose bow had been pushed in 50' by a rogue wave. Twisted that metal like it was made of Playdough! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Pete

/ Lake Superior #10  
Beautiful pictures Bob. I've always heard there are really only four Great Lakes... and one Superior /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif