Our "Pets"

/ Our "Pets" #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
Our \"Pets\"

Not much of a picture until you study the dark objects in the middle. Those are our "pet" wild turkeys. They have been hanging around pretty consistently for the past several weeks. There are three of them but hard to tell in the picture. I need to get out my 35mm and get some good shots.

They are a lot of fun to watch. Heads bobbing as they strut along the treeline. Much easier to take care of than a dog or cat too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Our "Pets" #3  
Re: Our \"Pets\"

Hi Rob. Funny to think those things were non-exisitant around here several years ago, isn't it. Michigan has been re-introducing them for a while now and it is paying off. They are all over the place up north of you. I've seen them around Vandalia, but never that far south. My father in law has seen them on our property while he was cutting wood. Those were released at Potato Creek several years ago and are working there way north. My prediction is in a few more years your population will work its way west and ours will be further north and the whole area will be renamed Turkeyana /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Our "Pets"

I saw my first turkey in the wild a couple of years ago on my bicycle. It scared the **** out of me as it took off but then flew down the road ahead of me. Man, can they fly fast!

Last fall we watched a large crowd/gaggle/herd/group of them down Redfield Rd. from us. Less than a mile north of the state line, there must have been 20 or more. They were hanging out in a field for a couple of months until the hardest part of winter came. Haven't seen them there since but we're happy to have our three visit with us /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Our "Pets" #5  

<font color="purple"> crowd/gaggle/herd/group of them </font>

A "rafter" of turkeys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This web site has the names for the male, female, baby, and group of common animals.

Some really weird ones: a shrewdness of apes, a party of jays /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Our "Pets" #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It scared the **** out of me as it took off )</font>

Yeah, they kind of "explode" out of the brush but wait to do it until you are almost on top of them. Gives your ticker a workout. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mark

/ Our "Pets" #7  

These pictures aren't as clear as Rob's but I thought I would share them anyway. This adult turkey had been hanging around my front and side yard for about 10 days. I saw her almost everyday during that time frame. Then one morning I saw her walking through the front yard with around 8 young ones following her. I took these photos that morning and haven't seen any sign of the adult or the young ones since. I highlighted the young ones in yellow but they are still hard to see.

First pic attached

Attachments

• 294635-Chicks_1_Small.jpg
    294635-Chicks_1_Small.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 166
   / Our "Pets" #8  

Here is the second pic

Attachments

• 294636-Chicks_2_Small.jpg
    294636-Chicks_2_Small.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 198
   / Our "Pets" #9  

Very cool, Spencer! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Our "Pets" #10  

Here are a couple of hens that showed up one morning to scratch around in my yard. Later I saw a group of about a dozen in the woods. They wouldn't let me get any closer than about 75 ft from them, but they didn't seem too afraid of me. Several years ago I saw a hen with a bunch of chicks and I was surprised that the chicks seemed to look just like quail.

Attachments

• 294963-TurkeyVisit.JPG
    294963-TurkeyVisit.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 146