Snooze in Sunshine

/ Snooze in Sunshine
Did you use manual focus?
Yes, the 2x lens preempts the auto focus so it's a little tricky as the depth of field is so shallow.

/ Snooze in Sunshine #12  
This looks like an 'American Anole' ??
In FL the 'Cuban Anoles have overtaken the habitat and the numbers of the Americans have decreased over the last several decades but lately they seem to be making a slow comeback...

/ Snooze in Sunshine
This looks like an 'American Anole' ??
In FL the 'Cuban Anoles have overtaken the habitat and the numbers of the Americans have decreased over the last several decades but lately they seem to be making a slow comeback...

3-4 years ago we had a several serious cold fronts come through and had some record low temps. I remember one Saturday when the high temp never got to 40f. That temperature extreme killed a lot of Cuban anoles and a lot of Cuban tree frogs, that may explain the comeback.

I have always referred to them as Florida anoles, but a little google time reveals that there are also Green, American, and Carolina anoles as well as American Chameleon . I don't know if this is a subspecies or not.

I can tell you that they are considerably slower and less likely to bolt than a Cuban Anole. Which, no doubt has a lot to do with their inability to compete for food and hence the loss of territory.
Green Anole, American Chameleon, Anolis carolinensis Anole Facts
Carolina anole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Snooze in Sunshine #14  
3-4 years ago we had a several serious cold fronts come through and had some record low temps. I remember one Saturday when the high temp never got to 40f. That temperature extreme killed a lot of Cuban anoles and a lot of Cuban tree frogs, that may explain the comeback.

I have always referred to them as Florida anoles, but a little google time reveals that there are also Green, American, and Carolina anoles as well as American Chameleon . I don't know if this is a subspecies or not.

I can tell you that they are considerably slower and less likely to bolt than a Cuban Anole. Which, no doubt has a lot to do with their inability to compete for food and hence the loss of territory.
Green Anole, American Chameleon, Anolis carolinensis Anole Facts
Carolina anole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roger that...I was there at the time...and it did reek havoc on the cuban anole populations...took a while for them to come back (to a lessor degree)

I was born and raised along the coast of W. central FL (IRB)...I kept lizards as pets and kept meal worms to feed them....another lizard you rarely see down there any more is a type of "racer" (don't think it's a skink) but they had striped bodies and indigo blue tails...before the cuban anole invasion they were probably the predominate lizard around there...

/ Snooze in Sunshine
another lizard you rarely see down there any more is a type of "racer" (don't think it's a skink) but they had striped bodies and indigo blue tails...

Yes I see them on a daily basis in the summer, or warmer months, on my property. They are territorial in that when you see them one once, you will see them again in the same spot the next day...only a little larger the next year. I have sat and fed large ones (blue, 5 lined, skinks) disabled mosquitoes while taking a break from hunting in remote areas....the things we do to amuse ourselves..... to facilitate the things we do to amuse ourselves....swatting mosquitoes carefully, so as not to kill them, but only to disable.... and feeding them to indigent reptiles...get a life eh? :rolleyes:.
There are also red ones that are not uncommon...bullbreaker has posted pictures of same. I think it was in or near to his living room as I recall. He lives further south in the state and has a different set of creatures to enjoy.
These skinks can be quite bold but are more difficult to photograph as they don't stay anywhere very long and don't seem to enjoy the sun as much as the anoles do.

/ Snooze in Sunshine #16  
Yeah here's a skink that used to come in away from heat/cold through small corner hole under sliding glass doors. Used to lie down next to me while I was at keyboard on computor. Ain't seen him/her in months. Great ant control. It did this for almost two years.

Boone

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 87
   / Snooze in Sunshine #17  
Good shots there Robert, I love those little guy's They hang around our porch rails all the time, for the most they go unnoticed because of their changing color to blend in, we spend allot of time on the porch and I think they are used to us as well, they move about without a worry, except for our grandchildren catches them at times, pets them on their heads and quickly turns them back loose, I think the children have them all named, How they can tell them apart I don't know, maybe by size, at night the frogs come out get under the lights to catch bugs,we've counted as many as 16 at a time, Its all i can do to keep reminding the grandchildren to not pick them up, of course they also have names for all of them ;)

/ Snooze in Sunshine #18  
The Spectacular Iguana's of Cozumel

Cozumel Mexico 179.jpgCozumel Mexico 148.jpgCozumel Mexico 165.jpg

Cozumel_Mexico___Part_II_042.jpg

Last edited: