Nitrogen? Who Needs It?

/ Nitrogen? Who Needs It? #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
Attached is a picture of my shoes, yeah like anyone really wants to see my shoes. Look at the rust on them. That is from walking across my lawn. Yes I have rust, a fungus you can get for having too much nitrogen or too little. In my case too little. I spread 300lbs of 29-3-10 on my 2 acres every 6 weeks. Spread more fertilizer and the rust disapears. It is frustrating because I am putting about 150lbs per acra of fertilizer on my lawn every 6 weeks. I think that is a bunch more than a farmer would put on his crops. Anyway I wanted to buy organic fertilzer but not sure with the expense that it would work any better with a 5% rating to it.

murph

Attachments

• 302206-shoes.jpg
    302206-shoes.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 536
   / Nitrogen? Who Needs It? #2  
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifHmmmm......

Sure glad we don't have SMELL-O-puters!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Nitrogen? Who Needs It? #3  
well it looks as if you need a new pair of walking shoes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
although shoes in that condision are the most comfortable

/ Nitrogen? Who Needs It? #4  
That much fertalizer, and you don't have enough??? I assume you have had a soil test right? If your soil is low, I am thinking maby something is missing from it that can process what you are putting down. Wile the organic's have a lower % rating, they feed the stuff in the soil, and as we know, when we eat something, it comes back later, and that makes good fertlizer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So you are realy getting more than the bag says.

I would say to start using something like alfalfa meal, or pellets, corn meal, cotton sead meal, or watever is cheeper in your area. To get the best price, go to a feed store. Now it may take a little time for your lawn to bounce back, but once the little soil guys come back for dinner, it will be real nice. Give it a shot, what do you have to lose. The soil will thank you for it.

/ Nitrogen? Who Needs It? #5  
I'll second the soil test too.
Get the ph and the other minerals checked.
U may need some organic matter if yours is low and doesn't have anything to hold the N.
Maybe plug and add peat to help loosen the soil and boost organic matter.
Our corn crop we shot for 200# of actual N/ acre.
U are getting around 44# of N/ acre on each application.
A time release fertilizer may help too.

/ Nitrogen? Who Needs It? #6  
Hi

Do a search on this active ingredient it might help. Dichlorophen

/ Nitrogen? Who Needs It?
S1120

I have asked the guy I buy my fertilizer from a couple of times to take a test or sell me a kit for me to take it myself. After all I shouldn't have any trouble doing the test I did it for about three years working for an Agronomy Place before I was 16.

Anyway they said I did not need any test for this area so I am now looking for another place to buy my fertilizer from. I put Nitorgen on my lawn two days ago, mowed today and all of the rust is gone, just like that. So I am sure it is lack of nitrogen(also did a search on the web and found that type of rust I have is from lack of nitrogen). But I do want to switch to organic but it is so expensive around here.

If I go to a feed store what should I look for there or ask and do I have to mix it up myself. I just need some hints. I have contacted some companies that sell organic but it just seems so expensive.

murph

/ Nitrogen? Who Needs It? #8  
I would not eaven tell them what you are using it for. Just get a price on some feeds. Alfalfa meal, alfalfa pellets, corn meal, cotton seed meal, etc.just pick up what ever is cheeper in your area. There may be other feeds in your area, bit these are common where I am. Also there is no mixing. Just spred it out on the lawn. Once more, it will take a little time. First, organics are slow release, also it may take a bit to get all the beastys back in your soil. But after a wile, your lawn will come back. Also once things get going, you do not need as much. Good luck.

How many pounds per acrea and can I use my Herdseeder to spread it? If it has a slow release then I should be able to spread in the next week or so even if I just put down some 26-3-10 right??

murph

Picked up a sample kit so will have a test done. I will post the results when I get them back in a few weeks.

I also noticed that I can buy Alfalfa meal and Gluten meal from this place. The Alfalfa meal is about $11.00 per 100lbs.

I just need to figure out how much now.

I figure if organic takes some time I could apply fairly soon even though I just put down 100/lbs of 26-3-10 last week. If I put some alfalfa meal down now and then I should be able to put another application late in the fall?

Just me thinking I guess.

murph