JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #1  

LilRhody

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Great site! I am new to the country life and everything that goes with it. Was able to buy this coool shovel for the driveway though. Hope to learn a lot of the "tricks-of-the-trade". Keep up the good work everyone...Steve in Rhode Island

Attachments

• 35-30798-Pic00024.jpg
    35-30798-Pic00024.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,410
   / JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #2  
Nice setup. There is one thing that would make it better though. It could be at my place/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #3  
Steve,
Looks nice, but I thought I heard that a backhoe on a 4100 would void the warranty. There was a fellow who broke one in half and JD gave him a replacement and the same thing happened to it. It was awaile ago on CTB that I read about it. Maybe JD has fixed what needed to be fixed.

18-30445-von.gif

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #4  
My dealer told me that the reason JD does not recommend a backhoe for the 4100 is that JD doesn't recommend a 3 point backhoe for any tractor. The 47 and 48 JD backhoes both have subframes, but they are sized for the larger tractors. He said that within a year, JD will be coming out with a subframe backhoe designed for the 4100. The point about 3 point hitch backhoes certainly doesn't just apply to JD. I have a friend who broke his B-2400 Kubota in half last year using a 3 point backhoe.

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #5  
Steve,
She a beauty,/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif and looks like your all set for this year projects. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

By the looks of the snow do you live near Greenvill.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #6  
I've got a Kelley 650 3ph hoe on my Ford 1710. Looks like it might be the same hoe, but I've got a 12" bucket. The 1710 is a bigger tractor than the 4100, and it has steel cases. I know the hoe is capable of damaging my tractor, and I take care in how I use it. The soil here is sandy and easy to dig, but I don't try to move big rocks or break large tree roots with the hoe. I also check the mount adjustments about every hour of operation.

The 3ph mount uses two additional top-links that run from near the top link mount on the hoe to a plate that is u-bolted to the drawbar. The links serve to distribute the load between the 3ph arms and the drawbar. The links also lock down the 3ph, which is essential for safe operation. Without the links, the 3ph can lift and pin an operator between the hoe console and the ROPS. Improper adjustment of the 3 links also allows greater load shock to the tractor cases.

If you're going to use the hoe with a 4100, I'd say it would be good to recognize the risks to both operator and tractor and pay close attention to adjustment of the links and also tightness of the mounting plate u-bolts. A smaller bucket might be a good idea. Also, it's a good idea to make note of the sound of the system pressure relief valve. The 3ph is locked down with the hoe mounted. It's possible for the 3ph lever to be accidentally raised. The 3ph will try to raise, which will open the relief valve. Prolonged operation with the relief valve open will over-heat the oil.

Aside from all these dire sounding things, I like my hoe just fine, but do I avoid doing heavy-duty things.

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #7  
Steve, that is one nice looking machine. I always thought my infatuation with backhoes was unique if not rather odd. Good to see I'm not the only one /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif If only I could swing one for my tractor now...

Rob
18-25126-790sig.gif

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe
Thanks for the replies. I bought the 4100 off the dealers lot with the backhoe on it. So, if I encounter any problems, Deere should own it. Thus far its been great (everything is frozen here in RI...small jobs for the hoe, however, I do plan on putting it through its paces this spring).

P.S. Thomas, I do live near Greenville. I posted once before under jd4100hoe, but, could not get the picture attached because it was too big of a file. As I recall, you have family in the Greenville area:) I have since taken some smaller pixs and figuered I would "try and be a little creative" with a new Username. Keep it safe...Steve in RI

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #9  
jyoutz,

Did your friend with the B2400 have the added brackets that bolt on between the loader frame and the rear case under the tractor? Kubota says these are required along with an increased strength top link bracket if a hoe without a subframe is mounted on the B2400. They come with the Kubota hoe, but can also be purchaced alone for a few hundred dollars.

If a hoe that was to big was used or the brackets were not added, it may explain what happened.

I would be interested in hearing some more details. What brand and model hoe, what was he doing when it broke, where did the tractor break, etc.

Thanks,
Andy

/ JD 4100 HST w/ backhoe #10  
I don't know. I never saw his B-2400. Just heard his story after the incident and saw the B-21 that he replaced it with. He did tell me that the hoe on the B-2400 was original Kubota equipment. He also told me that his dealer kind of whispered to him that even though 3-point backhoes are widely available, he would never recommend anything but a subframe mounted hoe.