Prairie Chicken

/ Prairie Chicken #1  

DeeDubya

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2910i
I cut down a spalted hackberry to find a prairie chicken... seems like there was a cartoon with a character like this.

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    755.9 KB · Views: 210
   / Prairie Chicken #2  
Imagine being squished like that- poor chicken!

/ Prairie Chicken #3  
ROFL -- I opened this thread because I actually used to work with endangered Attwater's Prairie Chickens and I thought "NO WAY!" Was not expecting that!!

/ Prairie Chicken #4  
I think you should cut a slice, polish it up and mount it for posterity.

/ Prairie Chicken #7  
I cut down a spalted hackberry to find a prairie chicken... seems like there was a cartoon with a character like this.

What a hoot! I'd sure try to put that to use some way, other than in the fireplace! Can't tell the diameter from the pic, but if you coat it with AnchorSeal and let it dry very slowly, you might be able to make a small trivet or cheeseboard out of it. :)

/ Prairie Chicken
What a hoot! I'd sure try to put that to use some way, other than in the fireplace! Can't tell the diameter from the pic, but if you coat it with AnchorSeal and let it dry very slowly, you might be able to make a small trivet or cheeseboard out of it. :)

It was roughly a 12" green tree. I took this pic the same day I cut it. This thin slice had already dried enough to crack by the next day. The spalting actually runs several feet within the tree. You would have to cut a large piece and let it dry slowly and then slice it after it dried. Also, the spalted (rotted) part is soft and would not be very good for a cheese board. I have better things to do but couldn't resist this one. There are other trees with unusual spalting like pecan but for the most part they are all soft woods. A really nice hardwood with a beautiful burl is much more impressive and you can actually make something out of it. Like a stock for your 300 win mag!