13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel #1  

buickanddeere

Tractor
Deere, several
Standing infront of used Nuclear Fuel.jpgDaughter with used nuclear fuel.jpg

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel #2  
Looks to be dry cask storage but quite different than we use where I work, I would guess a BWR. I don't know what you are trying to say but once in a cask there is no appreciable Alpha or Beta dose and the Gama dose will be monitored, I would bet on less than 10 mr/hr if they are letting kids that close.

Amos

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel
PHWR . Approx 0.1% U235, 1% PU 239 and mostly U238 plus some odds and ends as fission daughters. The reactors are slow breeders as well as supplly steam turbines. Fresh fuel was 0.7% U235 and 99.3% U238.
The picture with the single kid shows a rope and sign at the 2.5mrem exposure level.fuel has been resting in a fuel bay for 10yrs.
The image is to show the fear monger on the Nissan electric car topic that used nuclear fuel is not a hazard. The kids are more dangerous than the used fuel.

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel #4  
as long as it is still in the containers, its safe .... when placed in an old mine shaft and an earthquake happens ? when the truck transporting it is cut off and it over turns ? ..... terrorists ? anything can / and will happen .

is it safe ? yes at this point in time ... 300 years from now ?????? will they remember where it was buried ????

all fuel has hazards ,,, some are visible , and immediate ... others are not so obvious.

I don't loose any sleep over this , but we lived thru 3 mile island and Chernobyl and the fujikama disasters ... just a much bigger Russian Roulette with the earth as the "head" ..... now in the hundreds of "incidents" , mostly human error.

do we need nuclear ? at this point sadly , yes ....

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel #5  
PHWR . Approx 0.1% U235, 1% PU 239 and mostly U238 plus some odds and ends as fission daughters. The reactors are slow breeders as well as supplly steam turbines. Fresh fuel was 0.7% U235 and 99.3% U238.
The picture with the single kid shows a rope and sign at the 2.5mrem exposure level.fuel has been resting in a fuel bay for 10yrs.
The image is to show the fear monger on the Nissan electric car topic that used nuclear fuel is not a hazard. The kids are more dangerous than the used fuel.

If it's so safe then why is it so deadly??? I agree with jaotguy.

Nuclear anything is a bad idea, countries need to really think about more wind power.

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel #6  

Nuclear anything is a bad idea, countries need to really think about more wind power.
Not everyone on earth can live off wind power, solar energy or hydro-electric or any other source or non-nuclear or hydrocarbon based energy production. We still need nuclear which initially is the least polluting kind of energy. We just need to find a better way of getting rid of the by product of expended nuke material. Latest I heard, the best way to encapsulate nuclear waste was in fused glass which would seal it in forever.

No matter what kind of energy we use, we have to be responsible on it proper use. Some of the worse pollution is from wood burning heating appliances that are outdated. I have been in areas where wood is predominate heating material and smoke is so thick that one can hardly breath. I for one would rather live next to a nuke energy plant supplying power to 100,000 or more homes than 10,000 homes burning wood or hydrocarbon fuel like coal even with all the pollution standards in effect, they still produce tons of pollutants per hour of use.

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel #7  

Ted Kennedy has killed more people than nuclear power.

Anything can kill you, including air and water which is required to live.
Many folk appear to be ignorant of how much radiation naturally occurs in the environment .
So tell me, where does the power come from when the wind isn't blowing? How about placing a field of V2 Vesta a half mile up wind of your residence.
People are just so terrified of what they don't understand.
Are you aware of the luxurious living the environmental activists enjoy. The more fear mongering they do, the more donations from frightened grandmothers is collected.
Lets shutdown your farm as it is a hazmat zone with dust, mold, raw untreated manure , pesticides/herbicides and spilled petroleum or antifreeze. Lets not for get the asbestos floating around after brake and clutch jobs.

Fuel after 250 years is as dangerous as a CAT scan.
A used fuel flask vs a freight train? The train looses and the flask need a fresh coat of paint where the train broke apart against it. Do you really think nobody thought of that?
Used fuel here is destined for deep storage where it won't be disturbed even if another ice age occurs.no earth quakes here either.

/ 13-14yr olds standing next to used nuclear fuel #10  
Perhaps a bad example, but look at Chernobyl now. It is a teaming wilderness, tons of boars, deer, wolves, ect. It actually proves that the eco-types are completely off when they say we are destroying the planet. It is far tougher then we are.

Would I take a nuclear power plant 5 miles from my house? Yes please, good jobs, clean power, maybe cheaper. Instead, about 35 miles away a local utility was forced to build a biomass power plant (wood burning). [Forced by politics, it's owned by the city, and city voted to force the utility to build it]. It's so efficient, that city now has the highest power prices of any the state of Florida. Personally I like coal plants, and I feel it is a bad decision to move away from them. The US hasn't had an air pollution problem in the last 30 years, modern scrubbers are good enough. Constantly trying to get cleaner and cleaner air is stupid when there isn't a problem.