Can somebody tell me what made these marks?

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks? #1  

justme23005

Bronze Member
Tractor
Satoh Beaver
The marks are about 1/4 inch apart, and appear to have been cut into the wood, since it didn't rip the bark. Any ideas? Thanks. 0815141621.jpg

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks? #2  
No idea other than someone with a wood carving chisel it's nteresting and intriguing...I just hope this thread does not turn into another idiotic/stupid saga like the pallet thread did...

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks? #3  
Something rubbed against it. Looks like a saw blade or something was pushed across the tree with a decent amount of pressure. The gouges on the lower right of the pic come to somewhat of a point.

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks?
There were marks in a few places, on a couple different logs. I missed the pallet thread.

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks? #5  
is that a natural position, almost looks like it is in a firewood stack

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks? #6  
Maybe Steve will know.

is that a natural position, almost looks like it is in a firewood stack

The logs were stacked somewhat neat.

I'll give the rest of the story..
I own a tree service here in upstate NY.. I was hired to do a small clearing job. I was to chip the small branches, & leave the rest on site. I cut the rest of the wood in 6-10 foot lengths, & put it in a reasonably neat pile near the parking area. (the clearing job was behind an apartment complex). I finished the job and thought everything was all done.. Well.. a couple days ago, one of the tenants called me and told me that somebody had scratched her car.... And the scratches on the car matched marks that she found on the logs. I stopped over & looked at it and sure enough, they do match.. I explained that I didn't make the marks while cutting the trees, but she obviously didn't believe me. So now, I'm trying to find out what made the marks. Somebody had stopped & picked up some of the logs. I'm trying to figure out if who ever picked up the logs could have made the scratches. It was obvious that the marks were freshly cut, and the trees have been down for a couple weeks.

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks? #8  
The logs were stacked somewhat neat.

I'll give the rest of the story..
I own a tree service here in upstate NY.. I was hired to do a small clearing job. I was to chip the small branches, & leave the rest on site. I cut the rest of the wood in 6-10 foot lengths, & put it in a reasonably neat pile near the parking area. (the clearing job was behind an apartment complex). I finished the job and thought everything was all done.. Well.. a couple days ago, one of the tenants called me and told me that somebody had scratched her car.... And the scratches on the car matched marks that she found on the logs. I stopped over & looked at it and sure enough, they do match.. I explained that I didn't make the marks while cutting the trees, but she obviously didn't believe me. So now, I'm trying to find out what made the marks. Somebody had stopped & picked up some of the logs. I'm trying to figure out if who ever picked up the logs could have made the scratches. It was obvious that the marks were freshly cut, and the trees have been down for a couple weeks.

Just guessing, could be jaw marks from some type of log clamp if whoever pick up some of these used some type of grapple.

Just guessing, could be jaw marks from some type of log clamp if whoever pick up some of these used some type of grapple.

That's kinda what I was thinking... But I was hoping that somebody would look at it and say "I've seen that before, & this is what caused it".
The marks were at a 45 degree angle to the log.

/ Can somebody tell me what made these marks? #10  
Does the city / county use a knuckle boom loader for debris haul off?