First deer harvest of the season.

/ First deer harvest of the season. #1  

adirondackmtnman

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5045D
Here is a couple pictures of a doe I took last night with my muzzleloader. Shot her at 80 yards across a hay field. Took her through both lungs and took the top off her heart. She didn't get very far. She was standing at treeline, and I found her laying 20 yds. into the woods. Didn't get a chance to have her weighed as it was too warm to keep her overnight in one piece, so she got quartered right away. A ton of fat on her, very healthy. For scale, I am 6' tall, 295 pounds. Not a bad take this one...sorry about the sideways picture...that's odd...

ForumRunner_20141021_054304.png

ForumRunner_20141021_054313.png

/ First deer harvest of the season. #2  
My son had some luck Sunday nite with the muzzle-loader.Very nice 8pt.205lbs.dressed.Shot at 10 yards!
We had some history with this deer;his right side is just a big glob of a rack,some sort of pedicle injury.
My nephew had trail cam pictures of this deer hard horned in mid September about 1.25 miles from where my son shot him.
We aged him at 4 years minimum,we had seen him as a what we thought a seven point with the right side really messed up 2 years ago.

Attachments

• Al's 2014 MZ 007.JPG
    Al's 2014 MZ 007.JPG
    826.5 KB · Views: 293
  • Al's 2014 MZ 005.JPG
    Al's 2014 MZ 005.JPG
    657.9 KB · Views: 298
   / First deer harvest of the season. #3  
Forgot the picture of the other side;too bad could have been an exceptional rack.Still debating to have a full mount done.

Attachments

• Al's 2014 MZ 006.JPG
    Al's 2014 MZ 006.JPG
    819 KB · Views: 356
   / First deer harvest of the season. #4  
Nice looking game there guys, good work!

Surprised to hear you're already out with the Muzzle loaders. Archery only here until Nov 8.

I've been in the woods every other day since Sept 15th and it's been meager to say the least. In fact, last night was the first action I've had in my woods so far. We had an exceptional acorn drop this year, hoping that's the culprit that's keeping them away. Eventually the acorns will be gone, and they'll be on the move again. Wife cooked the last of our stores from last year this past weekend.....

Keep the pics coming... hopefully I'll have something to add soon.

-J

/ First deer harvest of the season. #5  
Forgot the picture of the other side;too bad could have been an exceptional rack.Still debating to have a full mount done.

Dam shame that right side didnt form up like the left. That would have been quite the impressive mount.

-J

/ First deer harvest of the season.
Nice looking game there guys, good work!

Surprised to hear you're already out with the Muzzle loaders. Archery only here until Nov 8.

I've been in the woods every other day since Sept 15th and it's been meager to say the least. In fact, last night was the first action I've had in my woods so far. We had an exceptional acorn drop this year, hoping that's the culprit that's keeping them away. Eventually the acorns will be gone, and they'll be on the move again. Wife cooked the last of our stores from last year this past weekend.....

Keep the pics coming... hopefully I'll have something to add soon.

-J

I didn't see a thing until muzzleloader opened up this past Saturday, then I started seeing her and her fawn daily. I think when they heard the shooting start, they headed for the land I hunt. I think they feel safe there, because I'm the only one who hunts it, and I keep the shooting to a minimum, and get all my sighting in done elsewhere. Rifle opens on Saturday, hope to have some luck there as well.

/ First deer harvest of the season. #7  
The rain and warm weather have put a damper on the season so far.The deer in our area are feeding heavy on soy-beans and left over corn+heavy acorn crop.The buck my son shot certainly was ready for the rut.
We are seeing lots of does with fawns and a few small bucks.We have several pictures of the larger bucks,mostly at night.

/ First deer harvest of the season. #8  
Good stuff guys. Glad to hear they're starting to move again.

I have a dentist appointment today and hope to get in the stand around 4pm before they start moving. With a dose of luck maybe I'll have some pics of my own. Our land borders my gun club, as well as a decent hunk of trust land. No hunting there, but a few guys do on the club land. We keep our roster small (150 members) and of that only a handful hunt. Long story short, our deer are not afraid of gunshots, and the area around me is rarely hunted. This time last year i was seeing 4-10 different deer every trip to my stand. This year nothing... what a difference a few acorns and warm weather make.

I see you both are upstate NY. Wife and I own a hunk of land bordering the Winona State forest... Oswego county area. Hunted it the year before last.... hoping to get out there again this year. I try to wait for rifle season since RI does not allow it. I have a little lever action .357 mag that i like to carry since its so small and light. I know the laws have changed in respect to pistols but unsure if my little lever gun would now be banned for an out of stater like me. Any input would be appreciated.

-J

/ First deer harvest of the season. #9  
Congrats to all!

/ First deer harvest of the season.
Good stuff guys. Glad to hear they're starting to move again.

I have a dentist appointment today and hope to get in the stand around 4pm before they start moving. With a dose of luck maybe I'll have some pics of my own. Our land borders my gun club, as well as a decent hunk of trust land. No hunting there, but a few guys do on the club land. We keep our roster small (150 members) and of that only a handful hunt. Long story short, our deer are not afraid of gunshots, and the area around me is rarely hunted. This time last year i was seeing 4-10 different deer every trip to my stand. This year nothing... what a difference a few acorns and warm weather make.

I see you both are upstate NY. Wife and I own a hunk of land bordering the Winona State forest... Oswego county area. Hunted it the year before last.... hoping to get out there again this year. I try to wait for rifle season since RI does not allow it. I have a little lever action .357 mag that i like to carry since its so small and light. I know the laws have changed in respect to pistols but unsure if my little lever gun would now be banned for an out of stater like me. Any input would be appreciated.

-J

As long as it's not a pistol, you should be OK