My Saturday of labor.

/ My Saturday of labor. #1  

hillslider

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 JD X750 and X350
Well I am in full swing remodiling my upstairs bedrooms. What a mess. Any suggestions for getting my L3130 up there so I can use the back blade to help with the clean up. The house is 60 years old and there is no insulation anywhere. So we will insulate as much as we can....new sheetrock and then some nice new carpet. Fun fun!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hopefully in a few weeks I can show the finished room!!!! I want to get this done so I can start on the other room. The never ending honey do list! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 363434-P1010123.jpg
    363434-P1010123.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 610
   / My Saturday of labor. #2  
Suggestions, yes I have one. Park a dumpster under the window and shovel the debris all out the window. If need be make a chute and save yourself a lot of work.

My grandparents home used to have knee walls. They make for some good storage areas if you plan well. Good insulating! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My Saturday of labor. #3  
Oh man, been there, done that more times than I care to remember. Looks like you have the old time full thickness 2 x 6 rafters. Would recommend that you be careful when insulating there to leave an air space between the insulation and roof sheathing. This helps prevent moisture and condensation buildup. One way I have done this and still keep a respectful insul value is to use 3 1/2 batts there and then nail a layer of foam insulation on the rafters before nailing the drywall on. Combined this will bring you back up to about an R20 and still leave you with a 2" air space. Bet you can't wait to haul those 8 footers of drywall up there.

Jack

/ My Saturday of labor. #4  
Pineridge makes a good point about getting a dumpster and making a chute to dispose of the debris. Been there, done that. Gutted a 55 year old 12X7 kitchen along with a 3X12 closet down to the bare studs to create a new 12X11 dining room during our addition project last year. Took out the old kitchen window so we could toss out nearly five yards of old 3/4 inch PLASTER walls, ceiling, etc. As a carpenter by trade before retirement I really miss the materials used in older houses, nobody uses real 3/4 lumber for sheathing or makes their own roof framing today, it's all OSB and pre-built trusses now.

I hope you were using good masks during the tearout work because there is a lot of lead paint in older houses.

/ My Saturday of labor. #5  
BOY does that bring back memories, my house was built somewhere in the 1870 era, u have to be careful on the insulation , do not cram it in, this is a case of more may not be so good.also u have some built in storage area, between the wall and the roof. u could put some acess dors in there and store stuff, if u do, just be aware that that wall is a roof bearing wall. GLAD IT IS U AND NOT ME /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i am too old for that stuff anymore /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ My Saturday of labor.
Well the other side has an access door for storage...see pic....There were some old boards just loose on the floor so I am putting down particle board for a little nicer floor in that area. To be honest I chose particle board because a 4x8 by 5/8 thick sheet was half the cost of plywood. Is this a bad choice???? I asked around a little and no one really was sure if it would be a good idea using it in a non heated strorage area.

Attachments

• 363506-P1010129.jpg
    363506-P1010129.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 298
   / My Saturday of labor.
When we bought the house the owner said that the house was rewired and up to date. For some reason though he said in the upstairs area some of the old wire was left in. Now my abilities in this area are limited. I rewired my barn last year but really do not feel like playing with my house wireing so I was going to call someone in. I attached a pic of the stuff. It is the black cased wire....looks good but since I have the wall down was thinking!!!! Any oppinions. If the wire looks good is it best to leave alone or should I blow the budget and get it replaced?? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 363510-P1010130.jpg
    363510-P1010130.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 259
   / My Saturday of labor.
I was going to do the dumpster thing and then heard the price from Waste Manegement......about 500 bucks. No way. But I will be backing the truck up to the window and taking to the dump. Oh and I will place a piece of ply wood over the back window for protection of the truck......I learned this on a buddies project....it cost him $300 on his truck!!!!! To bad sheet rock don't burn.....could have had a nice bon fire!

I was talking to the original owner's son who grew up in this house......and the exhisting sheet rock is about 15 to 20 years old. They used roofing nails......to say the least the ceiling was saggin pretty good but it sure made removal easy. Did I tell everyone how much fun this is!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My Saturday of labor. #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( To bad sheet rock don't burn.....could have had a nice bon fire! )</font>

A friend of mine throws his drywall scraps on his garden every fall and grinds it into the soil with his rototiller. It's an effective way to add lime to your soil, if it needs it, and easier than taking it to the dump! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ My Saturday of labor. #10  
I built my house in 1987 and I have the knee walls/trusses etc,just like in your picture(framing looks alike). I have the walk in attics behind the wall as well.