Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone?

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I left my cell phone on the table, within arms reach of my 18 month old boy, and when I walked away to fill the tub for his bath, he snuck in and tested the buoyancy of my iPhone.

After a quick lesson on positive, neutral, and negative buoyancy, I removed my phone from the bath tub and tried the rice trick with my phone.
I left it in rice for 2 days, but nothing.

Is there any way to get the 3,000+ photos off my phone?

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #2  
Did you ever back up with icloud? If so they should be there

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone?
Did you ever back up with icloud? If so they should be there

No, I had something like 45 gigs of pics with only 5 gigs of iCloud storage.

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #4  
I am not familiar with iphones but I did managed to submerge my Motorola phone three times and dried it out using the defroster on my car driving home and then let it dry three more days. Trick is to get the battery out as soon as possible. Then clean any contacts inside.

Are your photos on a micro card? I save my pictures to the micro card so they can be transported to other devices or when the card gets full.

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #5  
hmm.. faced with a dead dead phone.. I might get creative and invest a couple bucks in a pint or 2 of 90% rubbing alcohol, and give it another bath.

the alcohol is a polar solvent.. water is polar. Once solvated, you should be able to get rid of the resulting azeotrope easier than the water alone thru mild heat and time, leaving no water residue, however you might leave some precipitates... and if those are conductive, they might be a problem. especially if there were bathsalts in the water.

cheap to try, and you are starting with a dead phone.. so hard to go south from there.

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #6  
Maybe let it dry out a while longer. I lost my phone at work one day and found it outside on the ground in the pouring rain. Wouldn't work. I put it on the dash of my vehicle over the vent with the defroster blowing on warm air, and eventually it came back to life. Back in my factory assembly days we used to put alcohol cleaned wet electronics in warm ovens and/or use compressed air to aid in drying parts.

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #8  
It's a shame you didn't use iCloud backup or backup to your PC/Mac. I am surprised how many people lose everything on their phone and have no backup. I pay $0.99 a month for the 50GB backup plan in iCloud and don't ever worry about it.

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #9  
I left my cell phone on the table, within arms reach of my 18 month old boy, and when I walked away to fill the tub for his bath, he snuck in and tested the buoyancy of my iPhone.

After a quick lesson on positive, neutral, and negative buoyancy, I removed my phone from the bath tub and tried the rice trick with my phone.
I left it in rice for 2 days, but nothing.

Is there any way to get the 3,000+ photos off my phone?

Leave it in the rice a few more days and try again. If that doesn't work, try the Apple store.

/ Anyone know how to get photos off a sunken iPhone? #10  
Open it up, take the battery out, leave it in the rice - and talk to the folks at the Apple Store. It can likely be recovered by a professional, but the more you try, the higher the risk it may be seriously compromised. Don't over heat it or cool it. It may take a vacuum chamber to get ALL the water out - hopefully before corrosion kills it for good. Cleaning with alcohol is appropriate but should be done by a shop who knows how to handle the fire hazard of working with Alcohol. There is a good chance your pix can be recovered, but it's likely gonna cost. Regrettably these devices are not "bullet proof" yet! back ups are getting less and less expensive - any thing you value that's not backed up -- is at risk.:rolleyes: