Some pics of the farm....

/ Some pics of the farm....
Gatorboy, as for the deer.... I try my best to keep the population under control.. im a bowhunter... haha.. but seriously, there are alot of deer out here. I am not fencing any of them. This particular breed of loblolly can actually survive the buds being lopped off by deer. That is one advantage. Most breeds of pine will not survive being topped but these will grow right around it most of the time. Another big help is that I got some pretty good animal repellent formula spray from a good friend of mine at the Department of Natural Resources office. He tells me that if I hit the trees with one spray each every 30 days, deer wont even venture close to them. Its worth a shot, heck its free! They have been using this spray for a couple of years now and, he tells me that they VERY rarely lose trees to deer. He is the one who got the trees for me, and keeps saying I will most likely have an 80-85% survival rate. Not too bad!! So im crossing my fingers!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Some pics of the farm.... #32  
Typhoon

Great looking farm. Looks a lot like our farms here in New England except for one thing missing.. Stone Walls, almost there isn't a field in New England that doesn't have stone walls all around it. Most of New England is so rocky that to use any fields for crops, the farmers had to move the rocks so they piled them into walls.

Andy

/ Some pics of the farm.... #33  
If you have a place you would like more trees planted don't give up. There is an easy method to planting. I suggest talking with the State DNR. Up here in Wisconsin we can order reduced price trees and they have a three point hitch tree planter.

Also, check into becoming a tree farm and possibly reducing property tax, that angle has been very good for me.

/ Some pics of the farm.... #34  
SIR,
yes i have been through anna many times. when i was a
teenager, i worked in the peaches, thinning them in the
early summer, and in the packing sheds when they were harvested.
that was in COBDEN, IL. i can remember coming through anna
during VJ DAY, i was 16 years old at that time. i missed out on
the big war,(ww2), but i was just the right age for korea.
good luck with your projects.
accordionman
william l. brown
wright city, mo.

/ Some pics of the farm.... #35  
Gee I thought the lake was a pond and the ponds where puddles!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Some pics of the farm.... #36  
{Nice looking land. Dirt looks real good.

Egon}

Egon,

That's because it came from Canada! You guys never get any credit for that.

John

/ Some pics of the farm.... #37  
Yeah, those glaciers were a great deal for us Indiana folks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Some pics of the farm.... #38  
Jinman

How big is your lake?
I that natural or did you dig it out?

/ Some pics of the farm.... #39  
My lake was built in 1941 as a soil conservation lake. Many of these were built here in Texas as part of the recovery after the Depression. Our lake is between 15 and 20 acres under water, and I own the two little ponds they used as breeding ponds for the fish while the lake was being built.

It's nice to have a semi-private lake (it's really just a big pond) and the rules say no gasoline engines are allowed. If you need power, a trolling motor works perfect. I like my little paddle-boat. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Some pics of the farm.... #40  
Hayfield in NC and a young man learning the trade. hay1.jpgIMG_20160525_132731517.jpg