Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented?

/ Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented?

fsbdev3_068211.jpg

Bruce

/ Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented? #2  
I never say a contraption like that. I bet that crosscut saw worked pretty well with that rig.

I did have the opportunity to help my Dad saw up some logs with a cross cut saw when I was very young. You really had to be careful to keep your legs away from the blade, they could remove a lot of meat fast and deep in one stroke. About all I could do was to drag it back with very little cutting while Dad let it fall into the wood and pulled it hard, but it was still better than him having to push it back which doesn't work too well. I saw one neighbor who had no children use a bicycle inner tube hooked on the saw handle to pull the saw back. That worked but doubled the effort to pull the saw toward you.
You had to have strong arms and strong back to use them very long but they sure beat the heck out of chopping down a tree with an axe.

/ Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented? #4  
There were the remains of one of those on the farm where I grew up. I never saw it assembled and don't think it had the track setup.

/ Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented?
If you search YouTube for drag saw, you can see many smaller ones at work.

Here's one:

Bruce

/ Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented? #6  
The one in the video started easier than some chainsaws I've known.:laughing:

/ Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented? #7  
If you search YouTube for drag saw, you can see many smaller ones at work.

Here's one:

Bruce

Is that some kind of steam driven contrivance? Yes, I am glad chainsaws were invented, mine cuts a lot faster than that contraption. And well they don't call misery whips, misery whips for no reason.

/ Aren't you glad chainsaws were invented? #10  
I did have the opportunity to help my Dad saw up some logs with a cross cut saw when I was very young. You really had to be careful to keep your legs away from the blade, they could remove a lot of meat fast and deep in one stroke. About all I could do was to drag it back with very little cutting while Dad let it fall into the wood and pulled it hard, but it was still better than him having to push it back which doesn't work too well. I saw one neighbor who had no children use a bicycle inner tube hooked on the saw handle to pull the saw back. That worked but doubled the effort to pull the saw toward you.
You had to have strong arms and strong back to use them very long but they sure beat the heck out of chopping down a tree with an axe.

I gave each of my boys the "opportunity" to help me cut up trees with a typical dual handle crosscut saw and a single handle. I was handed them down from my Grandfather, who taught me to saw. They had to cut up a tree with an ax before "graduating" to the crosscut, and after they cut up several trees with the crosscuts they could graduate to a chainsaw.

It's odd though, even with the small number of chainsaws I have (in my sig) they never ask to use the crosscuts.

I think that was the first Sawsall.;)

Steve

You may have a point there!

I think that was a "Sawsmost".

I wonder how many 20V max batteries it would take to run it :)