Old time super power farming

/ Old time super power farming #11  
I was thinking about this (Not exclusively, mind you. Other things occur to me at times)... what do they do with zoo or circus 'waste'?

Do they sell the elephant dung at a premium or for [wait for IT!] peanuts?

It seems expensive to me. It is $15 per "scoop" which they list as approximately 1/2 a yard. So I am guessing it is just a FEL scoop on a fair sized tractor. It is not just the elephant "combustion products" it is all of the herbivores and it is composted on the site. So you are getting some good s... Uh stuff.

/ Old time super power farming #12  
Cue the Marx Brothers...... :D

/ Old time super power farming #13  
It seems expensive to me. It is $15 per "scoop" which they list as approximately 1/2 a yard. So I am guessing it is just a FEL scoop on a fair sized tractor. It is not just the elephant "combustion products" it is all of the herbivores and it is composted on the site. So you are getting some good s... Uh stuff.

I always smile at these non-International Weights & Measures. We had a fair discussion here on TBN on what constituted a 'cord' or 'ton' of wood.

When it comes to "scoop", I'm reminded of Kelloggs Raisin Bran (Sultana Bran, here in Aus) and their claim that 'there are always TWO scoops of raisins' in a box... however they never define exactly what the size of the scoop is. :confused3:

And don't get me started on "Fun Size"!

/ Old time super power farming #14  
I always smile at these non-International Weights & Measures. We had a fair discussion here on TBN on what constituted a 'cord' or 'ton' of wood.

When it comes to "scoop", I'm reminded of Kelloggs Raisin Bran (Sultana Bran, here in Aus) and their claim that 'there are always TWO scoops of raisins' in a box... however they never define exactly what the size of the scoop is. :confused3:

And don't get me started on "Fun Size"!

Yeah, even as a kid I always wondered what a "scoop" was. They never said. Just 2 "scoops". For all I know the scoops were the size of thimbles. Uh, huh, fun size. Fun for who? Probably fun for the company that made it!:)

/ Old time super power farming #15  
My wife always claimed she was fun sized... <100lbs @ 5'3", I'd have to agree, and still close to that after 6 kids... yup, that's my description of 'fun size'! *grin*

But geesh that's getting a bit off topic...

She would not likely see the humor in me posting that description in a thread based on an elephant.

/ Old time super power farming #16  
My wife always claimed she was fun sized... <100lbs @ 5'3", I'd have to agree, and still close to that after 6 kids... yup, that's my description of 'fun size'! *grin*

But geesh that's getting a bit off topic...

She would not likely see the humor in me posting that description in a thread based on an elephant.

Good stuff right there Greg!!!! Classic example of how the male mind wanders. What was the subject again??? :D

/ Old time super power farming #17  
bcp, Very interesting - especially the ploughs (and numbering from the left) particularly the first top row. Also I think the person leading is wearing a German naval uniform of the time. Wiki is about the only quick source of info on Alsenborn and it seems the place is famous for its circus troupes. Top row 3 and bottom row 1 show quite a waste of good food for the the time though.

I do like the attire of the "gentlemen farmers" in Top 4.

K0ua please note that bottom 1 shows the great advantage of the prime mover being able to refuel without stopping!!

/ Old time super power farming #18  
bcp, Very interesting - especially the ploughs (and numbering from the left) particularly the first top row. Also I think the person leading is wearing a German naval uniform of the time.

It's actually Belgian. I did a quick Google Image search = Belgian zoo elephant. Now why a Belgian sailor is 'handling' the elephant would be just as interesting a story. Perhaps the bloke was a zookeeper who joined the Royal Belgian Navy, then was pulled back into elephant handling service?