Lets talk camera's.

/ Lets talk camera's. #1  

houstonscott

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc
Have an Olympus Pen micro four thirds camera. Looking to move up. Full sensor or crop or stay with micro 4/3's. Cameras under consideration, Pen f, Fugifilm X-T2, Fugifilm X100f, Nikon Df. Your thoughts? I travel so size and minimal fuss is important. I love the old school retro looks of the new cameras, I like mirrorless too. Lieca is nice but camera + lens break budget.

Last edited:
   / Lets talk camera's. #2  
Not much of a photographer but I bought a Nikon 3100 when we went do Disney a few years back..Nice camera, great pics but more complicated than I would prefer, think it's more of a semi-pro/advanced user unit..A bit large too ( for carrying around anyway). No regrets buying it, just wish I was more inclined to learn all the features---That's my fault.

/ Lets talk camera's. #4  
I've been shooting a D300 since it was first introduced. I was mainly shooting sports and with the external battery pack I was able to shoot 8 fps which was an important feature for me. The FX formats were just being introduced and the prices were way more than the $2K I spent on the D300 body. I didn't want to spend much more on a body knowing I was going to drop another $4-5K in lenses. If I was buying now I'd probably buy the D850. Seeing I already have a number of lenses, I'd just be looking at the cost of a body. The biggest draw back I see in the Df is the controls. With the finger/thumb wheels on the conventional bodies you can quickly make changes and see them in the LCD. The "Old School" controls on the Df I'm sure would require a solid thumb and index finger turn to make changes. Ergonomically I think the "standard" body style would be a lot more comfortable to shoot with, especially for an extended period of time. If you're into the retro look of the Df then I would recommend going to a camera store and playing around with a couple and try them out. Not much different than buying a tractor...sit in the seat and see which one feels best!!!

Performance wise I'm sure the Df would be more camera than anyone would need who's not shooting professionally. So there shouldn't be any issues there.

Good luck. It's always fun buying new toys!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Lets talk camera's. #5  
I have a Nikon D3200. It's great for point and click, with a variety of lenses available. However, it has the options for more advanced photography. It's not huge, fairly light weight, gets about 700-800 shots per battery, spare battery and charger are about $30. It's old enough to have dropped in price, but not so old that it's irrelevant. And it's middle ground between point and shoot and more advanced. I have a 18-55 and a 55-300 lens which pretty much covers me for everything minus low light, but only cost me about $400 with 2 camera, 2 lenses, 2 memory cards, 2 batteries, tripod, and carrying case.

/ Lets talk camera's. #6  
Many a debate over cameras.
Canon and Nikon rule!

I like Canon.
SLR lets U have a wide choice of lenses as does Nikon
Leika IMHO is like Tag Hoeur in watches. All marketing hype for those who want to brag.

Both Canon and Nikon have a huge choices of lenses with many of the older film camera lenses usable for those that upgraded to digital.

Now I refer to 'above point and shoot' category. ( SLR)

While the battle still reigns between Canon and Nikon they still maintain their positions as the leaders.
My 2 cents for a serious photographer would be to chose either one and forget any other brand.

If RIO is of concern to you, both will protect your investments., and also you can often find good used deals on older film camera lenses that will work on your digital Canon or Nikon digital camera.

/ Lets talk camera's.
Many a debate over cameras. Canon and Nikon rule! I like Canon. SLR lets U have a wide choice of lenses as does Nikon Leika IMHO is like Tag Hoeur in watches. All marketing hype for those who want to brag. Both Canon and Nikon have a huge choices of lenses with many of the older film camera lenses usable for those that upgraded to digital. Now I refer to 'above point and shoot' category. ( SLR) While the battle still reigns between Canon and Nikon they still maintain their positions as the leaders. My 2 cents for a serious photographer would be to chose either one and forget any other brand. If RIO is of concern to you, both will protect your investments., and also you can often find good used deals on older film camera lenses that will work on your digital Canon or Nikon digital camera.
Modern mirrorless have left those two behind. Times they are a changing. If you have old lens from film age you could make a case for a new body, otherwise you might be miss informed. You know what bayer vs x-trans is? DSLR just to big and clunky yesteryear. Sensor is larger buy that may not matter anymore.

Fuji X Trans Sensor vs Moire - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Lets talk camera's. #8  
I'm very happy with my Sony RX100-4 as a point and shoot carry camera.
I'd like to learn more about photo processing using an iPad. I tried shooting RAW but found I really never went back and did any post processing on my computer.
Now that I have an iPad, I thought maybe there are some good post processing apps?
Any recommendations? Something easy for a beginner would be nice.

I also have a canon 60D with a few lenses. I'd really love to get the canon 70-200L f2.8 lense, but hard to justify that cost.

/ Lets talk camera's. #9  
I own a Nikon D70S,,, and a Nikon D7000.
The Nikon D7000 was my go to camera, until I purchased a Samsung phone about 2 years ago.

That Samsung phone has such a great camera,, I would have to search to find the Nikon,,,

For non-telephoto pics,, there is nothing I can not do with the phone.
AND, I have the phone with me, all the time. THAT is the biggest plus.:thumbsup:

wolf%20spider_zpsjt6ppgbe.jpg

Garter_zpsswc5jlmt.jpg

Corn3_zpscvfqrkga.jpg

/ Lets talk camera's. #10  
I love my DSLR 40D and especially all my Canon L lenses, zooms, macro, etc., that I have compiled for years since switching from Nikon to Canon 35 years ago. Problem is I rarely carry them now that my latest iPhone 7sPlus or whatever it is... takes incredible shots and is always with me. It does fall way short in low light but the color, storage, ease of editing is so convenient it now takes 99% of the photos I take. It is a dream for traveling and you don't need to worry about the bulk, and theft and it is always there for you.