What is this?

/ What is this? #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I think it was sometime last fall when this device turned up on a utility pole near my house. There is no line going to the wires up the pole and I don't think we have underground utilities. Can someone please tell me what's under the sheet metal? IMG_20180519_102941.jpgIMG_20180519_102932.jpg

/ What is this? #2  
The pole should have a number on it. Call your electric company and ask them about that pole. That is a good mystery.

/ What is this? #3  
The pole should have a number on it. Call your electric company and ask them about that pole. That is a good mystery.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This offers the prospect of endless speculation, some of which may be "unscientific." You should change the thread title to "Sheet metal on poles." Also, it looks like the "item" would have a "numeral 1 formation" if viewed in profile.:)

Steve

Last edited:
   / What is this? #4  
Copper ground cable covered to prevent theft?

/ What is this? #5  
There is a lot of stuff attached to utility poles but I've never seen something like that. My latest - a signal boost system to send my current meter reading to a receiver/repeater somewhere. For 35+ years I've had to report my monthly electric meter reading. Initially by phone and for the last fifteen years or so - over the internet. The electric utility company installed "transmitting meters". I'm remote enough that the signal has to be boosted to reach a receiver/repeater.

All of a sudden that picture on the right gave me an idea - there is something under that metal contraption that the utility company needs to protect from chewing rodents. Its a "rodent shield".

Underneath that metal shield is a high frequency receiver/transmitter. It receives signals transmitted by FIELD PALLETS and sends them on to the mother ship.

/ What is this? #8  
If you lift up the lid on top, there will be a cylindrical canister parked there. You can use it to send your bill payments directly to a bank anywhere in the world from there. This saves you the trouble of having to buy gift cards, cash payment cards to the IRS, internet security people, Microsoft and the local sheriffs office who call about your computer problems, grand-daughter's jail bond, Lottery winnings and Craigslist tractor payment options.

/ What is this?
Kenlip,
Thank you very much! This forum not only provides lots of fun but an occasional correct answer like yours.
Stuck

/ What is this? #10  
Huh - learn something new every day. The utilities do have pole restoration around here but not using those devices. I've seen where they will cut the bottom off a bad pole - sink a new "shorty" base - strap the good top to the shorty base.