valuable scrap

/ valuable scrap #1  

daedong

Veteran Member
This is up the road from me in some heritage groups grave yard
allsorts036.jpg

/ valuable scrap #3  
Stuff like that just blows my mind. First because I'll bet it only put out fifteen horsepower and twelve of those were needed to move it. Secondly one has to wonder how much work it took to make that puppy. That's some serious iron working.

/ valuable scrap #4  
Harv--great point on the HP!

I inherited a 1929 McCormack Deering 15-30 (commonly known as a 22-36, based on updated HP). At that time, the model numbers indicated Drawbar HP - Belt (or PTO) HP.

So my 36 belt HP tractor used 14HP just to move it, leaving 22HP to pull. Oh, to get that whopping 36HP required a 450 cu in motor! Interesting that my BX2200 Kubota has the same HP!

That old tractor weighed 7,000 pounds. My guess is the motor on it weighed as much as my tractor, FEL, and MMM combined.

Old iron fascinates me..........

/ valuable scrap #5  
If we knew the RPM it ran at we could figure out the torque. Then figure the gearing and I bet the numbers would be just a little more impressive. 14 horsepower to move 7,000# at a working speed shows there should be some serious torque involved.

/ valuable scrap #6  
Bgott,

I'd have to dig to find the overhaul manual (reproduction) I bought when I had the tractor. It was a hoot to read it; things like "if you don't have a jack to raise a wheel (like why would you do it--steel rims and lugs don't go flat--bearing problems, I guess), here is how you can use a timber and blocks to raise the wheel".

IIRC, the idle was at 800RPM and wide open throttle was 1200 RPM................

Don't recall about gearing.

A side note on torque: When I finally got it running--first time it had run in over 40 years--I couldn't get the mag to ground to shut it off. My plan was IF?WHEN it started, I would let it run no more than 30 seconds, then shut it down and check for damages!

When it finally launched, I was getting pelted with debris from the radiator core and exhaust. I moved the mag to "ground", but the motor kept running.

At this time, PANIC was setting in for me. Without a muffler, my head was inches from the exhaust output............ So I started pulling plug wires off. 4...........3..........2..........It was still running, very rough as it was down to one cylinder, but still it was running! I finally got the last wire off and it finally died.

No damage, and I figured out mag ground was the other direction.

Lots of great memories........ Enjoy!

Ron

/ valuable scrap
I am not sure whether TBN folk have realized or not but this thing is steam driven i believe