HEY...HEY...HAY...

/ HEY...HEY...HAY... #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
This ain't Fat Albert, but it's a lot of hay.

I mentioned seeing a field full of hay in BIGUN's nice post about baling hay. Tonight I stopped and took a couple of shots. I'm no expert, but I do believe this is 8 or 10 bales per acre. The first time I saw this field I almost ran off the road. I don't ever think I've seen hay production like this before.

It's located near Fort Worth, TX, just off Hwy 114 and north of Alliance Airport near the town of Justin where they make Justin boots.

Attachments

• 473148-HeyHeyHay1.jpg
    473148-HeyHeyHay1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 459
   / HEY...HEY...HAY...
A wider picture...

Attachments

• 473150-HeyHeyHay.jpg
    473150-HeyHeyHay.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 374
   / HEY...HEY...HAY... #3  
That is a bumper crop of hay. Wonder what kind of grass it is. They must have really fertilized it heavily. I have seen charts showing the amount of hay to be expected per acre based on rainfall & amount of fertilizer put out. I know Texas has had the rain this year, guess they provided plenty of fertilizer.

/ HEY...HEY...HAY... #5  
whats that white building in the background?

/ HEY...HEY...HAY...
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jim how big are those bales, do you know. )</font>

Those are the most common bales they do around here, about 1,500 lb I think. I think they are 4' x 4'. I also think they are coastal bermuda.

Degree, the building in the background is at Alliance Airport and I think it's the JC Penney distribution center. If I had turned a little more to the left, you could also see the stands at Texas Motor Speedway. In a few years, this will all be gone. At the current rate of growth, it will all be strip malls and houses. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I hope I'm retired by then. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HEY...HEY...HAY... #7  
A 4x4 bale is probably only about 800 lbs. The 5x5 bales are 1400 lbs. I agree that's alot of hay but it's not abnormally high I don't think for 4x4 bales. If that was a regular 6x5 bale you'd see about 1/3 that many. I've seen some pics from 5030 and he makes 4x4's and he's had fields that look like that. Also with grass hay you'll usually only have a couple cutting a year. Your first cutting will have alot of hay especially if fertilized. Nice looking field though.

/ HEY...HEY...HAY... #8  
We saw a field just like that last Friday across the road from a local golf course. It was an awesome sight. I wish I had my camera with me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I don't suppose the bales will still be there this Friday, but I'll try to remember to take my camera just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ HEY...HEY...HAY... #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We saw a field just like that last Friday across the road from a local golf course. It was an awesome sight. I wish I had my camera with me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I don't suppose the bales will still be there this Friday, but I'll try to remember to take my camera just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Now that would make for an interesting hazard if those bales we actually on the golf course. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dave

/ HEY...HEY...HAY... #10  
The big white building in the background is American Airlines maintenance hanger at Alliance airport. It is a HUGE cantilevered structure that can fit 2-3 airplanes wingtip to wing tip. I live a few miles north of there.