Hawk?

/ Hawk? #1  

BillyP

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4610 ehydro MFWD
This bird, which I think is a young hawk, had an accident with one of my house windows. I'm just curious to what it is?

Attachments

• 496535-Hawk.JPG
    496535-Hawk.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 612
   / Hawk? #2  
He faired better than the pheasant that came through one of ours a few years ago... Broke his neck and the window too... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Gave a whole new meaning to "Pheasant under glass"! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Hawk? #3  
It may be a Cooper's Hawk. And in fact it could be full grown they don't get very big. Just a guess though. Nice picture you got I take he is not moving much at this point

/ Hawk? #4  
I think you hit the nail on the head on that one...good job. HAWK PICTURE

/ Hawk? #5  
site1015.jpg

Here is one that landed on the corner of our deck. It kept eyeing the koi pond under it.

/ Hawk? #6  
I have a red tail hawk that likes my tractor.
Tractor = Free meal in his/her mind.

One time I say him snatch a bird that the tractor scared up out of the air and take it over to a tree and eat it on the spot.

Nature in action.

Fred

/ Hawk? #7  
Billy, many birds look different at different times of the year, but here are a couple of plates from the Nat'l Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds. I think your hawk looks more like a young red-tail, but I'll let you make the final comparison. Grumpa's link looks almost like a dead-ringer for your bird. Can the Audubon Society be trusted? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The attachment is a wide photo, so you'll have to scroll left and right unless you have a 1024 x 768 screen.

Attachments

• 496899-1-Hawks.jpg
    496899-1-Hawks.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 269
   / Hawk?
Jim, very interesting difference between the two Cooper Hawks. I'm sticking with Chicken Hawk /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway...Good news! The hawk is OK. I guess he needed some time to get his head straight again. He did take a pretty hard hit.

Thanks to all the replies!

/ Hawk? #9  
This gives a bird feeder a whole new meaning. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 497132-owl1.jpg
    497132-owl1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 298
   / Hawk? #10  
I am glad to hear the hawk is, at least for now, in good shape. One of my peahens flew thru a window in my building last week. I found out later two of the neighbor boys were chasing it through the building, it went upstairs and thru the window, made a huge mess. I didn't find the bird for a few days, it appears to be doing well as I seen it yesterday with the other peafowl. The boys got a tongue lashing along with cleaning up the glass.