I drove a tree cutter today

/ I drove a tree cutter today #1  

Tractors4u

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4310, Kubota L355, John Deere SST18 Spin Steer, 2006 Polaris Ranger
A buddy of mine has a timber company. He told if I had some free time to come by his job site today. He made the mistake of asking if I wanted to try the tree cutter. Oh yeah! It has a 1200lb blade that takes the tree out. As soon as you make contact with the tree you hit a pedal and the arms grab the tree. You can then press another button and a second set of arms grab the tree and you can cut another and grab with the first set of arms. You can keep doing that until the arms can't hold any more. It looks funny going through the woods holding a tree upright. Unfortunately I jumped up in the cab and didn't take my camera. The only shot I got was of it parked.

Attachments

• 511046-Tree cutter cropped resized.jpg
    511046-Tree cutter cropped resized.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 560
   / I drove a tree cutter today #2  
Brent, here's what one looks like from the front. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Notice the dent on top of the cage. That's what happens when a log gets away from you. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 511173-LoggingMB1a.jpg
    511173-LoggingMB1a.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 440
   / I drove a tree cutter today #3  
The second pic has a dent in the roof of the cab. These are some big machines but trees are even bigger. I would definately want that cab reinforced with some big steel. Thanks for the pics. I would love to work with a machine like taht someday.

/ I drove a tree cutter today
It was a blast to drive. You feel like you are in a monster truck. When you drive over a stump you get some serious "pucker factor"!