Toolbox Dilemma Resolved

/ Toolbox Dilemma Resolved #1  

FarmerBob

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2600DT
After spending an inordinate amount of time trying to find a toolbox and suitable mounting location for my L2600, I finally decided to just build my own. The ROPS seemed to be the most logical mounting location to keep things out of the way yet easily accessible. Using 1/8" mild steel, I cut out the panels and began the welding and grinding process. I had to remind myself along the way that it was <font color=orange>"just a toolbox"</font color=orange> /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif, otherwise I'd still be grinding and polishing. The dimensions are 18" wide by 8" deep and the rear is 7" high and the front 5" high, creating a sloped top.

A lengthy search for U-bolts of the correct size proved fruitless, so fabrication of the mounting hardware was required using 3/16" steel plate and 1/2" galvanized bolts. I have attached a picture of the results. The Kubota emblem on the toolbox top was provide by my local Kubota salesman... just to make it look "store bought" /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

The empty toolbox added about 35lbs to the rear, but it's quite solid and would take a hefty pounding with a sledge hammer to dent it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. If I had it to do over again I'd probably use 1/16" steel to reduce the amount of grinding that was required to smooth the seams and to make it easier to work with during fabrication. Nevertheless, I'm pleased with the results and now have a place for all the tools I need when I'm out "tractor'n" /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

FarmerBob

Attachments

• 35-48706-botamultipic.JPG
    35-48706-botamultipic.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 259
   / Toolbox Dilemma Resolved #2  
FarmerBob
Nicely done/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Maybe I'll leave a little uprights to incorporate a similar setup when I take the sawzall to my rops.
regards
Mutt

/ Toolbox Dilemma Resolved
Thanks Mutt. Now lemme get this straight... you're gonna saw off your ROPS???? Gee... then you're gonna miss all the fun of your ROPS catch'n hold of those low hang'n limbs and shak'n ticks 'n spiders down your collar /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.

FarmerBob

/ Toolbox Dilemma Resolved #4  
Hi ya
very nice toolbox ,i need a few of them to put parts in on my seeddrill and tractor prob is i could not mount the same way with haveing a cab wins some lose some kinda deal
another idea for toolboxes is old army ammo boxs ..waterproof and cheep
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Toolbox Dilemma Resolved #5  
Hey! That's where the gas tank is on my New Holland./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif Oh well, it looks good on your 'bota anyhow./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimI

Now who ever heard of a gas tank at the rear of a tractor??? That's the toolbox place /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

Thanks Jim. I could of bought one a lot cheaper if you count the time it took to make, but I like it and now I don't cuss nearly as much when I'm in the field and need a chain, or wrench, or other tool. I still don't understand why all tractors don't come with toolboxes as standard equipment /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.

FarmerBob

/ Toolbox Dilemma Resolved #7  
The L4610 with cab comes with a built-in tool box behind the seat. It is almost big enough to hold a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. When I get a chance I will design one to mount in the space now occupied by the SMV sign and remount the SMV mount on the back of the tool box I F it will clear sph implements in max up position (including hydraulic top link).

Patrick

/ Toolbox Dilemma Resolved #9  
So what is the Kubota part # of that toolbox/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Looks like OE to me. Maybe you could get Kubota to put a part # on that tool box!

I've got that problem too, making or doing things too well. Nice job!!

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

I know what you mean Patrick. My neighbor has a 3010 with the same narrow "toolbox" behind the seat. It's almost useless /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

FarmerBob