They tell it like it is....

/ They tell it like it is.... #11  
<font color="blue"> BTW: We have a poor community. Here one of the sqad cars is a PT cruiser. Think you can out run it? </font>

Mike, have you noticed how the city of Twinsburg has always used Chryslers for their police cruisers?

Through the 1980's they used the standard Chrysler police specials (Plymouth Grand Furys?), but when Chrysler stopped making large cars with rear wheel drive and V8 engines, they had to find an alternative...

I always thought it looked funny seeing a Dodge Dynasty as a police cruiser! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I think they're using Intrepids now, and that looks out of place too!

/ They tell it like it is.... #12  
Andy I'm afraid that we don't get out to Twinsburg much (one of these days we will make it to the twins day celebration though) We do agree with you as the police even around here have been scrambling to find the larger more powerful squad cars. Personally I think they would all look pretty cool driving Vettes around but I guess that isn't in the budget now is it?

Seriously our sheriff dept does have one trick looking PT cruiser though to impress the kids I guess.

Junk quit shaking your head at me! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ They tell it like it is.... #13  
Here's what they use in Junkman's town...
freetowndare1.jpg

/ They tell it like it is.... #14  
Andy try posting that picture one more time.......

/ They tell it like it is.... #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Through the 1980's they used the standard Chrysler police specials (Plymouth Grand Furys?), but when Chrysler stopped making large cars with rear wheel drive and V8 engines, they had to find an alternative... )</font>

Yep, Dallas used Fords for many years, got Chevrolets in 1966 and had lots of problems with them, then back to the Fords until 1970 or '71 when it went to the big Plymouths. In 1975, tried the American Motors cars, terrible experience, so back to the Plymouths. And even when Plymouth downsized a bit, stayed with them until we started putting mobile digital terminals in the cars and I spec'd out Plymouth; just too little interior room in the front for the terminal, radio, light bar controls, and two people. So we alternated with the big Fords and big Chevrolets (Caprice Classic) until Chevrolet dropped the big cars. And now with the lawsuits over fires with the Ford Crown Vics, many police departments are still using them, but they're trying a variety of other cars as well. And right now I live in a rich little town that uses nearly all Chevrolet Tahoes.

/ They tell it like it is.... #16  
Florida State Troopers had a bunch of 5 liter Mustangs for a while; they could duck through the turn-arounds on the turnpike, accelerate and catch someone in a remarkably short distance. Lately they have had a bunch of hot rod Camaros. Back many years ago, when our city was just starting its police department, the County deputies were all driving Dodges with "6 pack" engines -- 3 - 2 bbl carburetors. So, our first "public safety officer" (the department had not yet been officially started) ordered up a Pontiac 400 HO for himself, and he and the deputies went back on the back roads and did some drag racing every night (there wasn't much crime, back then).

In fact, there was so little crime, our city council applied for, and received, a grant to hire an "investigator" to stop our primary crime -- theft of well pumps and AC condensors from new homes untder construction. His job was to stake out clumps of new homes and try to catch the thieves in the act. The city council, in their wisdom, decided he didn't need much speed to handle a stake out, so they bought him a Honda Civic (this was back in the days when it was a 1200 cc econobox). He refused to drive it, and threatened to quit, so the council backed down and let him order a Dodge with 2 4 bbl. carbs, and he promptly joined the nightly drag races. It was a very small town at the time, and I was a young man looking to earn a few extra bucks, so I was out all night, every night, delivering the local newspaper from my car, and I got to join in some of the impromptu races -- that's how I know about all this.

But, the best cop car story I know is about our county deputies back around 1973. Seems that Volvo had quite a good business selling police cars in Europe, and decided they would try to break into the business here in the USA. They offered a test car to any department willing to give it a 6 months test. The car they offered was a model 144, which was a 4 cyinder, 4 door sedan, with an automatic transmission, in the relatively heavy Volvo. The car was a real dog. Our county has parts of it that are really rural cattle ranches and citrus groves, so the deputies put that car on ranch and grove patrol. They proceeded to drive it down every dirt road and across every field they could find, steering for stumps if they saw them. After they tore the oil pan off the car for the third time in a month, Volvo ended the trial and that's the last time one of our guys had to drive a 4 cylinder car until the PT Cruisers.

Today, we also have several PT Cruisers, but they are driven by our School Resource Officers -- police officers and deputies who are assigned to duty in the schools. As said above, the kids love the little cars. The main stream cars for both the police department (now up to about 150 officers) and the Sheriff's department (the same size or bigger) are Crown Vics. K9 officers drive Cherokees, and they have a variety of drug-related confiscated cars they use for all sorts of things. The Sheriffs Dept also has a VW New Beetle all dressed up in full paint scheme and lights -- they use it for parades and kids events, drive by McGruff the Crime Dog. The lease on it is donated by the local VW dealer.

But, none of them have a slogan like that, even though 3/4 of the officers would love it...

/ They tell it like it is.... #17  
Don, Volvo tried again in the early '80s to break into the police car business; offered to loan me one to try out, but I had a boss who was adamant that no "foreign" cars would be used. I know of two cities that used them and were happy with them for the first year or so, but I don't know of any that used them for more than a couple of years.

And yes, there have been some interesting "Police package" or "Police Interceptor" cars come and go over the years. I remember when they town marshall in the little town I lived in got a '58 Plymouth police special; push button automatic and two 4-bbl carbs. That was one tough, fast car, and as with many officers, he abused it to no end. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ They tell it like it is.... #18  
That '58 Plymouth made an impression on you in the year you graduated from high school; my neighbor's '57 Ford did the same for me.

My neighbor was a 21 year old kid who was a hot rodder and the bane of the Boro's little police department. When he turned 21, he decided to become a cop. In fact, I bought his personal car from him shortly after he joined the force -- it was a '51 Ford Crestliner with a '56 Olds engine installed.

Our little town of Bellevue (called a Borough or Boro) was the first municipality West of the city of Pittsburgh, on the North bank of the Ohio River. Henro will know it well; it's only a few miles from where he lives. A 2 mile section of the Ohio River Boulevard ran through the Boro; then another 2 mile section ran through Avalon, another little section through Ben Avon, and yet another through Emsworth; it went like that all down the river. The problem was, there were no interlocal agreements between the towns in those days, so if the cops saw someone speeding in Bellevue, if they couldn't catch them before they crossed the border into Avalon, they couldn't tag them.

So, when my neighbor with his hot rod experience joined the force, the chief got the Boro Council to give them a budget to build their own interceptor. He started with a base '57 Ford with a stick shift (3 on the tree) and a 312 c.i. engine, had the heads ported (Fords were notoriously bad breathers), installed a hot cam, headers and 3 - 2 barrels, converted to a floor shift, and installed Atlas Bucron tires (the stickiest that were made at that time). He could spot someone, catch them, and stay with them long enough to clock them (this was pre-radar, of course), and still have time to pull them over, all within the 2 mile stretch of highway. While he didn't run a true speed trap, his ticket revenue soon paid for the new car and made the highway safer.

About the only thing he couldn't catch was me in his his old personal car... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ They tell it like it is.... #19  
Don, you'd have to have known our town marshall to believe it. He just didn't believe in moving a vehicle from a standing start without hearing the tires squall. The little town had 3 car dealerships; Ford, Oldsmobile, and Buick when we moved there. Then we got a Plymouth/Dodge dealer and the Buick dealership closed up. And the town spread their buying around, so when we moved there, the town marshall was driving a '55 Olds. I heard that he tore the automatic transmission out of it 5 times, so in '57 they got him a Ford with a manual transmission. He over revved it and blew the engine. I heard a piston rod went down through the oil pan. So, in '58 they got him that genuine police special Plymouth and he couldn't tear it up; just wouldn't break, But then one night, he got way outside the city limits trying to see just how fast it would run and brushed a bridge railing; took out the right front fender, grill, and radiator, but he managed to not turn it over. And that's when the city fathers decided they needed a police department instead of a town marshall and night watchman. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So they hired someone from out of town as police chief and made the old marshall the evening shift patrolman, but then it wasn't long before they fired the old marshall for running his water meter back to keep his water bill low. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ They tell it like it is.... #20  
i seriously disslike the bad pulblicty fords gettin about the vics, there's been about 20 fires in 25 years of production of these cars, and they all occured in collisions, that in any other kind of car, the driver would be killed instantly.

C'mon, i mean expecting a car to withstand a 70+ mph rear end collision??? the vics have met the 2010 regulation of a 5- mph collision for 12 years now....

i personally drive a grand marqis ( same thing as the crown vic) and i don't have any worries about my 1 y.o. daughter being in the back seat of that car.. it's probably the safest place she could be.