Close encounters of the welcome kind

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Early this morning I was sitting in front of my monitor doing my eBay thing. The sun had yet to come over the horizon and it was still dark outside. Felt like getting an early start on the day and the news was blaring on the TV in the corner of the office.

As I was responding to some email I noticed movement out of the right corner of my eye. I swiveled on my chair to see two deer just outside our home office eating corn out of my wife’s bird feeder.

While it’s not unusual to see deer in the neighborhood I have never seen any this close to the home much less dealing with the lights from the office and the noise coming from the TV.

The wife and I watched the pair eat until they finally had their fill and wandered back off into the woods. It really made us both feel good about starting our day early and being there to see some wildlife up close.

Attachments

• 571713-deer.jpg
    571713-deer.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 552
   / Close encounters of the welcome kind #2  
Don't you just love nature. I have thirteen deer and several eagles that hang around my farm. I see at least some of the deer everyday and during season several of the eagles.

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #3  
Welcome Kind ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That is the enemy. I catch on them suckers I let the dogs loose (not that they ever catch one). At least they can run away from my dogs. Waht are my plants supposed to do when they come invading ?

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #4  
Hey,
As long as my wife feeds me... She can feed whatever else she wants....

Everything has to eat to live.....

Nice way to start the day....

Regards,
Chris

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #5  
Pine,
When the tree hugging dirt worshiping PETA people get through with the fish and game laws we all will think the way you do about deer. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Untill then I see pure untainted meat when I see them here in MA. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #6  
It is funny how they get used to noises and such. I was out at the local shooting range a couple years ago. We're on the rifle range, shooting black powder, and bench rest pistol. Boom boom boom...

Well, right in the middle of a shooting session, 5 doe came walking right out on the live range in amoungst rounds being fired. They stopped, looked around, and just hung out. We did a cease fire, as the "Booms" were not scaring them. Someone finally walked out there and shoo'd them away.

I have seen animals become accustomed to stuff before, but this took the cake /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #7  
Ah, now that's backwards... We came invading. We killed a lot of em off, cause they were food, and they were in our way. We brought weeds that invaded thier browse area's(in Calif, there is little native grasses left). We brought disease that hurt thier numbers.

Now, we've got gardens and lawns, and well, them rascals that have been here for eons are still in our way!

I like to hunt and fish; love fresh venison. But, nature has to continue on too.

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ah, now that's backwards... We came invading. We killed a lot of em off, cause they were food, and they were in our way. We brought weeds that invaded thier browse area's(in Calif, there is little native grasses left). We brought disease that hurt thier numbers. )</font>

We also killed off deer's natural predators. The only natural predator left is the automobile. The coyotes that are coming back prefer housecats and lapdogs instead of deer /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

I don't think their numbers are hurting, either. I read in the paper last year that there are more deer in North America than were here when Europeans came over in the 1400's. Same with Canadian geese.

I think of them as 200lb and 20lb rodents, respectively. I don't hunt, but around here it would be the proverbial "fish in a barrel". Occasionally, I will move them along with the help of a BB gun - give 'em a little kick in the pants /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This year, the most damage in our garden was done by squirrels.

Mark

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When the tree hugging dirt worshiping PETA people get through with the fish and game laws we all will think the way you do about deer.
Untill then I see pure untainted meat when I see them here in MA )</font>

All that from a simple picture of Deer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You know we raise our own animals to eat and can still appreciate them as animals and not just a chunk of meet.

I do not think having an appreciation for nature in any respect should be equated to a "tree hugging dirt worshiping PETA people". Extremes are just that and our unnecessary from both sides. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Close encounters of the welcome kind #10  
I'm kinda with Jastn70D.

I like seeing deer in the yard. That didnt stop me from turning one into roasts and jerky with the assistance of a high powered rifle.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Real hunters are better envriomentalists than the greeny weenies.