Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
Best Father's Day ever! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The family's treat for me was to say, "Go play on your tractor all day!".

Didn't want to hurt their feelings, so I had no choice but to spend over 6 hours hauling, lifting, scraping, pushing and just plain joy-riding around the 42 acres. Spent most of that time opening up some old grown-over back roads and blazing a couple of new ones.

At one point the guy next door heard me and came out to say hello. He then got the idea that we should get together and push this big hunk o' oak that had fallen on our mutual fence. I was actually getting ready to chainsaw the thing into firewood, but his idea sounded like more fun. Knowing a Kodak moment when I hear one, I set up the camera and took the attached shot.

First time we'd had his B2150 next to my L2500, and before it was over, we had developed some new respect for each other's machines. He had been somewhat envious of the size, weight and power of my little L, but we soon decided he not only had the right tractor for his needs, but it was actually better than mine in some important ways.

During the tree push, I was impressed at the power and maneuverability of his Bota. And when he asked me to follow him onto his property for another chore, I learned some REAL lessons about the different models. Right off the bat, he dropped his machine down a small, steep slope which ended in a sharp right turn. I started to follow, but was quicky overcome by the pucker factor. The slope was more than I was comfortable with to start with, and the sharp right at the bottom had me at a 15-degree side tilt before I was half way through it. I backed off and tried to find a new angle, but eventually gave up and found a longer, flatter route.

When we got to his "chore" (transporting a pile of old lumber with my bucket forks), I again got uncomfortable with the tight quarters right next to a steep dropoff. I told him I couldn't maneuver in that tight space and convinced him to try out my forks on his 2150. That worked out much better, and I wound up following him with a bucket full of smaller stuff.

The road he took me on had more up-slopes and side slopes that kept my eyes glued to my tiltmeters. His little machine was clearly more stable and handled the terrain with ease. No question in my mind that he has a lower center of gravity, and uses it to his advantage.

My hat's off to the 2150 and all of the "smaller" tractors out there. Another clear case of having the right tool for the right job.

HarvSig.gif

Attachments

• 35-51356-TractorPush.jpg
    35-51356-TractorPush.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 177
   / Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #2  
An interesting item to compare is the number of hours each of you have with your tractors. The more you use your tractor the more you realize what you(your tractor) can do.

Dan L

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #3  
From the producer of "Gorillas In The Mist" comes a new exciting production, "Kubotas In The Woods." /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Gene Siskel rates this production: "It's two FELs up in my book. I was riveted to my seat and choked by the dust and diesel fumes. What realism! What noise! Look out for those 'bota driving CA boys."

It sounds like an excellent Father's Day adventure to me too, Harv./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

JimI

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #4  
Boy I like those bucket forks. What would a pair of those cost, and are they easy to put on / take off?

Alan L., TX

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun
<font color=blue>The more you use your tractor the more you realize what you(your tractor) can do.</font color=blue>

I think I hear what you're saying, Dan, but are you suggesting I take my tractor beyond 15 degress just to see what happens? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I think that's a thrill I'll leave to somebody else.

And thanks for the movie review, Jim. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Didn't realize we had that kind of coverage. But let me take this opportunity to thank all the little people who made this possible..... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

As for the bucket forks, Alan -- this question comes up a lot. Maybe Muhammad will have a chapter in his next book that covers this information. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I guess I gave my most detailed answers in this post. The picture that used to go along with it is here.

HarvSig.gif

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #6  
The question is not the slope of the hill but the knowledge of wheather a slope is too steep or is the slope safe. Did you ask him why he took his tractor on such a "steep Slope". I think an operator of a tractor needs to learn what his tractor can do more than rely on other devices. Not because other devices may mislead you, but that if you learn to feel your tractor between your legs, you will know what to do if you find yourself in an uneasy position. And it will happen if you operate your tractor enough.

Dan L

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #7  
<font color=blue>are you suggesting I take my tractor beyond 15 degress just to see what happens? </font color=blue>

Harv, It may sound crazy, but some folks actually do test their equipment to the level beyond pucker! I would only suggest it if you took safety precautions like chaining the tractor so it could only go over so far. Let us know how far you tilted before it went over!

John Bud

35-43507-little_tractor.gif

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #8  
I was on a trivial hill the other week and when I turned my tiltmeter registered slightly over 20 degrees for the first time ever. I just sat there for a while, hardly breathing, and then backed up out of the situation. Obviously, the tractor didnt tip. I wouldnt voluntarily go to 20 degrees again, even though I dont think my tractor would tip even at 30 degrees.

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun
John, Glenn (why am I suddenly thinking about astronauts?) -

I am sure over time I will discover more about the limits of my tractor, hopefully without serious incident. My pucker limit for side tilt still seems to coincide with the 15 degree mark on my tiltmeter, and I doubt I will challenge that on purpose any time in the near future.

But I would like to pose a more physics-based question to youse guys and the general readership out there. My original post on this thread implied that the B2150 seemed more stable than my L2500. As I looked the two tractors side by side, my eyeballs told me that the 'B' had a lower center of gravity than the 'L'. Has anybody come up with any facts and/or figures to support this observation? Might be of interest to potential buyers.

HarvSig.gif

/ Double Your Bota, Double Your Fun #10  
Harv,

It's really not possible to say for sure unless you are kubota. But, I think some comparisons are possible.

For example, if the tire track (wheel width) is the same on both tractors, but one stand higher, it's center of gravity is most likely higher. SImilarly, if they stand at about the same height, but one has a wider track, the wider track is likely to be more stable.

Where things get confusing is when you change both the track and stance. To really answer the question, you need to know the actual center of gravity in the block of iron we call a tractor. Then you can figure the real difference as you move it around with different tires etc., but Kubota doesn't publish that info as far as I know.

Are your rear tires loaded? That makes a BIG difference in stability.