Bugs in my electrical system

/ Bugs in my electrical system #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
Well wasps to be specific. All dead. They found their way into the box from outside, then died. Every once in a while I'd find one flying around my basement (never smack a wasp with a pine board when it's landed on your forehead), but couldn't find out where they came in.

They had built a nest at the top of the rigid conduit (which was cleaned out last summer) and sometimes they would decide to go down the conduit and into the electrical box. I opened the electrical box today, just to see.

Cliff

Attachments

• 584921-wasps_small.jpg
    584921-wasps_small.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 562
   / Bugs in my electrical system #2  
I hate those buggers! Your photo gives me the willys Cliff. Fortunately, I've had few in the house but they build their nests all over the outside. I'll have to check out my electrical service entrance to make sure it's bug-proof /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bugs in my electrical system #3  
I got a buzz outta' that picture! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In Texas it would be fireants. Some people put dog collars inside their electrical boxes to repel the little critters. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Bugs in my electrical system
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In Texas it would be fireants. Some people put dog collars inside their electrical boxes to repel the little critters. )</font>

Now those must be big ants. I understand how a dog collar works, but how do you know when the ant has it on, so you know when to press the button to zap the little bugger? And anyway, I think you'd lose a lot of dog collars that way.

Cliff

/ Bugs in my electrical system #5  
Nasty!

Good thing they were all dead when you opened it up!

Reminds me I hae to take of a hornets nest at the peak of my roof before it gets warm.

Guess you used the ol'shop-vac... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Guess you used the ol'shop-vac... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

Nah, I just closed the box back up. I left them as a warning to any others that might decide to come into my house that way. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cliff

/ Bugs in my electrical system #7  
I have them in the attic and when we get a warm day in the winter, one or two will get into the house somehow. I have never been able to locate where they get into the house, but they do. We also get some bug that looks like a Wasp, but is just very stinky when you kill them. I pick those up with a tissue and just flush them. I would remove the carcasses from the panel, because you never know when the carcass will become food for some other insect.

/ Bugs in my electrical system #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I understand how a dog collar works, but how do you know when the ant has it on, so you know when to press the button to zap the little bugger? )</font>

I realized after I posted that I should have said flea and tick collar. I had a feeling you were going to catch me on that. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My house has no attic. It's just tongue and groove decking on top of 4x10 beams. Along the outside edges, my builder didn't do the greatest job of caulking (like not at all). I've caulked enough to slow down the critters coming in, but I still get a few wasps and lots of ladybugs. In my estimation, ladybugs are some of the stinkiest little bugs around. I'm sure Junkman's bugs couldn't be much worse. When you vacuum up ladybugs, the vacuum cleaner exhaust just sends that stink throughout the house. Yuck! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In my estimation, ladybugs are some of the stinkiest little bugs around. )</font>

I don't think you're talking about our regular Lady Bugs. Lady bugs don't stink. It's the little asian fake lady bugs that stink. I forget what they are called.
Cliff

/ Bugs in my electrical system #10  
I think they're called Asian Lady Beetles? Whatever the name is, they sure stink!

Regards,
Duber