Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Building a logging road

Hey Brent,

I'm with the others that say the before is better then my after product. I looked at the first pic and it looks almost exactly like one of my trails.

I see a stream in the pic. Do they need to get any equipment across that? If so, did they put a temp bridge up or ?

Brian

Tractor
    Deere 4310, Kubota L355, John Deere SST18 Spin Steer, 2006 Polaris Ranger

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I see a stream in the pic. Do they need to get any equipment across that? )</font>

The creek is not very deep, about 1 foot with a good gravel bed. They are able to cross it easily.

Veteran Member

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The creek is not very deep, about 1 foot with a good gravel bed. They are able to cross it easily. )</font>

Hmmm. My creek is similar and can be driven over with ease. When I went to get my place logged they said they needed to put a bridge across it to make the DEP happy.
    Little expenses like this added up making it not cost effective to have mine logged.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

The creek crossing was a problem I had too. A pair of culverts (24" and 36") mysteriously appeared in the creek two weekends ago. The crossing appears to have been existing and when they built it they used a good 18"+ of fill over the culverts.

Creek crossings are a big deal these days with fishies and all. What I was more worried about was making sure that the culverts provided enough capacity during heavy flows.

The logger actually advised me that if I could find an "existing" culvert crossing that things would be far more lucrative and expedient.

Just about any tractoring you do on your land is technically in violation unless you have a permit.

Any pics of the dozer?

Tractor

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any pics of the dozer? )</font>

Actually I do. Here is a shot of it facing off with my little Tonka Toy Komatsu D20.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

That's good stuff, even has the winch.

Tractor

The winch is cool. I heard about this guy that left the winch in "free spool" mode, and when he backed up, he ran over the cable and then he wrapped it around one track. Yeah I heard about that guy, now I don't know him personally or anything. I am sure he is a great dozer operator regardless!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

I know a guy, who was filling a pond, and pushed the fill a little far so that it got a little thin and then that guy's dozer fell through the good fill and sunk. The more that guy tried to get out of that hole the deeper he got. Revenge of the pond.

How nice it would have been to be able to winch myself out. Though I've heard the best way to pull down trees is get a dozer stuck and hook your winch onto trees to rescue yourself. Apparently you can winch three times the weight that you can drag, interesting.

That guy ended up getting creative with logs and implements to lift himself mostly out of the whole and then a duramax truck gave pull while that guy reversed out of the hole.

That guy then kept a couple feet of fill between him and the pond from then on.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar F18D

That drive looks exactly like my driveway. I'd say there's some erosion problems on the horizon without some cuts and under road drains. Oh man, you got some beautiful country there!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123