Prototype R&B TiltMeter

/ Prototype R&B TiltMeter #1  

MChalkley

Elite Member
Tractor
EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)
Here's a picture of a prototype TiltMeter that Rick at R&B is letting me test. (I just got it today, so it's currently "mounted" to my kitchen table, which, as you can see, is in no danger of rolling over...).

I'm sure Rick won't mind observations, but please don't assume the production model will look like this one. There's already changes in the works. For example, the prism effect of the tube the bubble is in will be much greater, causing the color of the bubble to change to match the color of the scale (e.g. when the bubble is indicating 20 degrees, it will appear yellow). It almost works this way now, but only at certain angles.

Anyway, this photo may give you a general idea of the new style mounting options he's playing with, too. If he allows me to test the next "release", I'll post some pictures of that one, too. (I didn't exactly get permission to post pictures of this one, but he didn't tell me I couldn't, either. The way I figure it, I was telling him all about my new digital camera in the same conversation that he agreed to send me the prototype, so he had to assume I was going to take pictures of it, right? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. Oh well, if you don't ever see me post a picture of the next one, you'll know I guessed wrong. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif)

I really like the concept of the bubble inside the prism, so I'm anxious to see how the next one turns out. Also, the mounting options are a lot more flexible here, as you can see.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

Attachments

• 35-58637-ProtoTiltMeter.jpg
    35-58637-ProtoTiltMeter.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 108
   / Prototype R&B TiltMeter #2  
I like it. I already have one but I like this style. I would definitely spring for one.

<font color=orange>George</font color=orange> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Prototype R&B TiltMeter #3  
Looks sharp; same size as the ones we're now using? And I guess using a bubble instead of a steel ball would eliminate the problem we've discussed in the past about mounting them with a magnet. I can imagine some instances in which a magnetic mount would be advantageous.

Bird

/ Prototype R&B TiltMeter
George - Me too. Times three.

Bird - Yep, same size. And yep, a non-magnetic design, for just such cases. Plus the base is angle-adjustable. And I think the bubble changing color will be a big plus for quick-glance determination of the angle. Rick's got a few kinks to work out yet, but he always gets 'em before he's done.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Prototype R&B TiltMeter #5  
Yeah, Mark, Rick comes up with some nice stuff. I don't know how he goes about making a tube to get the right prism effect to make the bubble change colors; that ought to be a nice touch.

Bird

/ Prototype R&B TiltMeter #6  
Hay how come Mark gets all the fun??? Nice looking unit, I've got to buy new ones for my tractor. I let the old ones go with the old tractor. Figure it might just save a life by leaving it on the old tractor..

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

Gordon - As far as I know, I was the second one on this forum to purchase one and then I made a lot of noise about it. Being a big-mouth occasionally has its advantages. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Prototype R&B TiltMeter #8  
Anything to enhance the quick glance capability is a G O O D thing. I just had my kubota L4610 up on 3 wheels for the third time, much worse this time than the others. Had 200 t-posts up on the forklift blades and the wheel turned to lock toward the right when the left rear wheel went way too far up into the air. Thought it was going over, but didn't.

Patrick

Patrick - Rick and I were talking about that very thing when he was describing this latest idea to me. It's not working like it should yet, but the idea is to put day-glo colors in the yellow and red regions, and have the prism reflect them through the bubble. I think it'll be fantastic - almost like having a warning light go off. I'll keep everyone posted - assuming Rick let's me test another one... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Prototype R&B TiltMeter #10  
Hi Guys,
Just got back from Louisville about an hour ago. Great Trip!!!!!
Our first time in Louisville Ky. FANTASTIC PEOPLE !!!!!
Friendliest place I've ever been. Anyway, HEY MARK, very
pleased to see the picture of the new proto-type. I really
appreciate your input. We had unbelievable response from
o.e.ms. at the show. ALL the big boys came by and talked.
I will be very suprised if we do not get a good o.e.m. or
two out of it. I will be working on the proto-type again this
week, or next. I'll keep you posted. BTW, I saw a friend of
ours there. He did not mention here that he was coming to
the show. I was extremely pleased to see him, and finally
meet him. Maybe he will post here his comments. Thanks
Mark and all you guys. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814