Fawn

/ Fawn #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
Since we took off on an animal thread recently, I thought I'd post a photo of a little fawn that wandered up our drive this spring. I saw him coming and couldn't believe my eyes. He came up and plopped down under our SUV like he knew where he was going. I took several photos and it didn't seem to bother him. The vet said to leave him alone and hope his mother came for him. She never showed. The next day I planned to take him to a local wildlife rescue but I'm afraid he didn't make it. I wish there was more we could do but it's difficult with wild animals. They just don't do well, especially when they're that young. He was only here for a day, but he has a permanent place in our pet cemetary, complete with a small concrete deer for a marker.

Attachments

• 35-68243-Bambi3mod.jpg
    35-68243-Bambi3mod.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 108
   / Fawn #3  
Tony
A great picture./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif We had one born last summer within view of our back door. 3 grand kids were visiting from Washington State. This one survived and stay around until fall with it's mother. It’s always great to have these views of mother nature./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Fawn #4  
Great Pics, Man I cant believe they let you get that close.

2001 B7500 HST 302 Fel R4 Tires
Semper Fidelis

/ Fawn #5  
From what I am told, when fawns are very young, they are taught (or by instinct) to sit low no matter what until their mother comes to get them. If you did not know better, you would think they were dead when you come up on one.

This past spring, I was mowing along the front of my property when I came upon a fawn hunkered down in the tall grass. Thank goodness I saw it, or I would have ripped it up with the blades. I have a bat-wing mower, and when I raised the wing up to avoid hitting it, it jumped up and ran into the woods.

I have attached a picture of possibly this same fawn 2 months later. It lets me get fairly close without running off. It must be getting used to me.

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland

Attachments

• 35-68283-fawn.jpg
    35-68283-fawn.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 118
   / Fawn
That's what I would have thought too, but apparently it's not surprising at all. The wildlife folks told me that deer that young instinctively freeze when approached. They won't move at all, sometimes unless actually touched. Nature tells them that they are camouflaged and their best chance for survival is to stay put! Another interesting thing is they have virtually no smell, except to their mothers. They told me about a video that shows a wolf in winter walking one foot in front of a fawn hidden in the brush and he never saw or smelled it. I thought that was fascinating.

/ Fawn
Nice photo Gatorboy. Deer are such pretty animals. BTW, my last post was in response to Devildog's comment. I hadn't seen your post yet which basically says the same thing as I did. Every spring someone get's one with a hay mower or something like that. They just will not move. Everyone around here looks hard for them while cutting, but sooner or later bad things happen.

Attached is a photo I took just yesterday afternoon. I was out at the tractor to get some shots of my grill guard to send to william brown when I noticed this fellow standing in the woods right behind me. I just kept walking towards him taking pictures to see how close I could get. He was pretty comfortable having me around. As you can see, his rack is just coming in.

Attachments

• 35-68313-deernicesmall.jpg
    35-68313-deernicesmall.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 111
   / Fawn #8  
That is a beautiful photograph!!!!!!!!!!

/ Fawn
Thank you Hillbilly. Here is a slightly different shot. I didn't take too many because my main goal was not to disturb him.

Attachments

• 35-68524-Bambi2mod.jpg
    35-68524-Bambi2mod.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 111
   / Fawn #10  
TonyC
Great thread/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.Attached pic of the "twins".They have grown up at our place and are BIG fans of tractor projects.I've had to ask them to move out of the way traveling around the place.They just wag their tails and stare. Lots of fresh tracks in the project areas next day also.
regards
Mutt

Attachments

• 35-68538-Dsc00025.jpg
    35-68538-Dsc00025.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 99