Old Glory

/ Old Glory #1  

kawallace

Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD
I am attaching a picture of the flag that was presented to my grandmother at her son's ( my uncle) military funeral in 1944. He died fighting in Europe during WWll. It has been in a glass case on display in our home since her death. I thought now was the time to fly "The Grand Old Flag", while it only has 50 stars it is a reminder of what has to be scarificed to maintain freedom.
Wally

Attachments

• 35-70319-FlagHouse.JPG
    35-70319-FlagHouse.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 184
   / Old Glory #2  
Good job, Keith.

You probably couldn't have ever imagined taking a flag like that out of its case, but I can't think of any more meaningful gesture than flying it now.

Rob

/ Old Glory #3  
The problem I see is, the flag was presented in 1944? It has 50stars? 1944 flags only had 48 stars! It is a nice flag though, and well displayed!!

/ Old Glory #4  
Have to admit, I'm a little confused myself, Wally.

No question that's a fine looking flag, but it was ahead of its time with 50 stars. The 49th and 50th were added in my lifetime, which began in 1948.

I'm dying of curiosity now. When you're able to unravel this mystery I hope you'll share with us.

HarvSig.gif

/ Old Glory #5  
Let's not be so picky. For example, the flag on Harv's tractor only has 11 stars. Since, there were 13 original colonies in America, that means Harv is technically not displaying an American flag. Unlike Wally, however, Harv has a built-in explanation for this puzzling behavior: he is from California.

/ Old Glory #6  
Since I think I just got my wrist slapped by Glenn, I want to assure Wally that I mean absolutely no disrespect for the treasured flag that was honorably given and proudly displayed by his family for so many years. I was simply being curious out loud.

As for the flag on my li'l tractor below, I did run out of pixels, but I thought the symbolism was still there. It is understandable, however, that it would never meet the accuracy standards of a good tax attorney. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I sincerely hope, Glenn, that we are just having a little good-natured elbow jabbing here, 'cuz this really isn't the time for cracking wise about the American flag.

HarvSig.gif

/ Old Glory
As I was 1 year old when my uncle was killed and my grandmother died 16 years ago the answer to your question will have to remain unanswered.
Wally

/ Old Glory #8  
I rarely take the time to use emoticons, so sometimes I'm misinterpreted (as opposed to all the times I'm misinterpreted for good reason, because I make no sense). I was just poking a little fun at the number of stars mystery and found it ironic that Harv's flag has the same number of stars that Plato attributed to the flag of Atlantis (/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif).

It's obviously the thought and spirit behind the flag displays that is the important thing.

/ Old Glory #9  
My Dad, a WWII veteran, died in 1968 and was accorded full military honors. I kept the flag that covered his casket for many years in a sealed plastic bag. When I became active with a Boy Scout troop locally, the flag was used to help many young men learn how to properly fold the US flag.....it seemed like a good use.....but it never flew. This past Saturday, it flew for the first time since it was originally raised over the Capital Bldg in 1968. It is now proudly standing guard 15 ft above the peak on our roof.........and will fly there for a very long time.

Bob Pence
18-33782-bobsig.gif

/ Old Glory #10  
To bspence and kdwallace. Congratulations and nice job!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Long may they wave not only on the poles but in our hearts as well.
Have a great day!
Al
USN ret.