Downsizing

/ Downsizing #1  

PLOWER

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4710 JD Lt133 JD 345
How do I down size a Picture to 200000 bytes. The ones on my computer are all 300000. Thanks
Cliff

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg

/ Downsizing #2  
Just lay off at least 100,000 of your pixels. If the government doesn't jump in and bail them out, you should be just fine. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

But seriously, you just need one of many software programs that can change the size and/or compression quality of your picts. I'm an Adobe Photoshop bigot, plus I'm on a Mac, so I probably can't name any specific programs for you. Someone should be able to name some free, downloadable software that will suit you just fine.

Too bad there aren't free, downloadable 3-pt implements, too. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Downsizing
Harv thanks,
I was just wondering, I have a few saved on my computer from some of my friends that are cool. When you buy a digital camera, doesn't it come with a program? Thanks,
Cliff

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by PLOWER on 10/08/01 06:43 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Downsizing #4  
Cliff--

You'll undoubtedly get more knowledgeable advice from some of the computer heavies on TBN, but I think the only way to get large-file-size pictures to a postable size is to open them in a photo editor and then "save as" a copy with different parameters. In MS PictureIt, which is definitely Photoediting for Dummies, click on "options" and you can dumb the picture down (the smaller the numbers the smaller the file). It also has a "save for the web" option which turns an 800k picture into a 24k picture which is still intelligible onscreen. In other editors the process is more complicated, but in the handful that I've used it always involves file/save functions. If you don't have an editor, I'm sure there is a shareware/freeware way to do this that someone can refer you to. Good luck!

Rick

/ Downsizing #5  
Your photo program should have a picture resize option, if you make the picture physically smaller it then takes up less space. I do this all the time with no problems using Photostudio or MGI Photo suite.

<font color=blue>Robert Turk Jr.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>Whitetail Splendor Deer Farms</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>Silver Creek, NY</font color=blue>

/ Downsizing
I have no photo software. I need to get one. Whne you buy a digital camera does it come with a software?thanks,
Cliff

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg

/ Downsizing #7  
<font color=blue>When you buy a digital camera does it come with a software?</font color=blue>

Mine did. I actually have 2 or 3 tools to reduce the size of a picture. The one I seem to use the most is called Paint Shop Pro (AKA PSP), although it's certainly not the only one. It gives you the ability to re-size a photo, and also allows you to alter the compression ratio. I usually just resize to 640x480 (or thereabouts), and set the compression to 30 (PSP allows this to be set from 1 (no compression) to 100 (maximum compression)).

You can download a demo version of PSP from here.

The GlueGuy

/ Downsizing
GlueGuy,
Where is a good place to get a camera? I was looking at Wal-Mart a while back. I think I will pick one up soon. thanks,
Cliff

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg

I'm moving up to a 5205!

/ Downsizing #9  
   / Downsizing
Scruffy,
Thanks for the link, but I think I'm just going to go get a camera. I think it is time./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifThanks,
Cliff

18-73839-PLOWER.jpg

I'm moving up to a 5205!