good days work

/ good days work #1  

woodmills1

Gold Member
Tractor
kioti LK3054
here is the woodmizer, the kioti, and the metavic loader after 10 hours of cutting old logs into dunnage. there are 141 4x4x8 in the pile. the trailer is full of slabs, though i dont usually cut that much waste. these logs were old so i shot for multiples of four, wasting more than usual. our colors are coming to the trees. keep on cutting, james

/ good days work #2  
Looks like you forgot to attach the picture.

But I'll take your word for it that you had a "Good Days Work" /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland
sm-gatorhead.gif

/ good days work
picture didnt take too many pixels second try

Attachments

• 35-75212-resized4x4.jpg
    35-75212-resized4x4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 121
   / good days work
gator i forgot i set the camera for more pixels had to resize try it now

/ good days work #5  
Yep, James, the pictures about the right size now, and I'd say that was a pretty fair days work./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ good days work #6  
Got it!

35-75212-resized4x4.jpg

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland
sm-gatorhead.gif

/ good days work #7  
Woodmills1,

I would say you had a pretty big day of cutting. You sure have a nice set up. I was curious if you cut for your own use or are you able to sell most of what you cut? I would guess you have found a market, what kind of wood do you most often cut and for what kind of end use? Looks like a great way to spend quality outdoor time.

MarkV

/ good days work
yes that woodmizer is really a great tool. it does just what it is supposed to with no complaints. i cut mostly white pine, and have a few small yearly contracts totaling about 20,000 bd ft. untill last feb i also had a customer who used pine in a pallet operation. he used about 2000 ft a month untill the warehouse he was supplying was downsized. i also sell pine to farmers and horse people. last year i cut all the siding for a very large indoor horse arena and this year i cut most all of the lumber for a post and beam summer cottage. that job included posts, beams, siding, flooring, roofing, and 2 by to go between the posts. I also cut native hardwood and sell to some local crafstmen. my farthest customer drove up from delaware to buy curly maple. one of the best parts is taking the mill to other sites to cut for people. the attachment is some of the curly maple.

James "woody" Mills

Attachments

• 35-75349-P3190050.jpg
    35-75349-P3190050.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 103
   / good days work #9  
James,

What should one expect to pay a board foot to bring someone in with a mill to do their trees? Do the rates change between hardwood and pine? What else is the land owner responsible for when bringing in a mill?

Thanks for all the information.

MarkV

/ good days work #10  
With maple like that it was worth the drive. BEAUTIFUL piece of wood. I hope you got top dollar for it. Nice looking rig you've got there as well. Guess you already know this web address http://www.forestryforum.com/main.htm/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg