First 'Real' Tractor + A Question

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
First \'Real\' Tractor + A Question

Here's a composite of my first real tractor, a NH TC25D. Not shown is the Woods rear blade I also purchased. Can anyone determine from the close ups of the bucket where it would be good to weld some hooks? I don't have a welder, but a guy with a truck mounted welder lives nearby. Also, what kind of hooks should I get?

tractor.gif

Attachments

• 35-77188-composite.jpg
    35-77188-composite.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 149
   / First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #2  
Re: First \'Real\' Tractor + A Question

Suppose it depends on what you plan on carrying. I had the hooks welded to the outside edge of the bucket to avoid bending the metal. Figured it was the strongest point on the bucket...but I lift maple logs with my L3010. Be careful; heavy loads up front do effect handling!

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question

Do you have a picture?

tractor.gif

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #4  

I bet if you ask NH, they will say no place is a good place.
You might want to check out tracktor hackers page for some neat tractor updates.
http://www.mgsweb.com/tractor/hacker/hacker.htm

Gary.

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #5  

MikePA,

I had my hooks welded behind the top edge of the bucket, one in line with each bucket cylinder. I bought two 3/8" hooks that are designed to let a chain link wedge in between and not slip. Have had no problems with limited use. Carried a large deer stand with a chain and binder last weekend with ease. Glad I have the hooks.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #6  

My new TC33D came with a hook welded on at the dealer. It has the heavy duty bucket with a round lip across the top so they first welded a square steel plate on to bridge the gap between the top lip of the bucket and the bucket body and then they welded 1 hook onto it. They just put 1 in the middle instead of 1 on each end so that the bucket would not get torqued to one side or the other. This hook has already proved very valuable in lifting objects!

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #7  

Gary, thanks for the site. I got a pretty good idea of how to build wheel weights from
there.-Ron

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #8  

Mike,
Attached is a photo of the hooks that I welded on to my bucket. I used 5/16" hooks as my bucket can only pick up 880 lbs. Hope this helps.

18-30445-von.gif

Attachments

• 35-77304-buckethooks.jpg
    35-77304-buckethooks.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 112
   / First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #9  

I had my bucket hooks mounted on the top edge of the bucket, one in front of each attachment point from the bucket to the loader. I used 3/8" chain hooks. I do not have any pictures yet, but I will try to get you one tomorrow.

rf33
rf33_sig_better.gif
/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ First 'Real' Tractor + A Question #10  

Mike,

The hook idea I liked was to use a piece of angle iron welded across the top of the bucket with three hooks. The center hook was a slip hook and the two outside hooks were grab hooks. This let you use two chains and hook to the outsides, or one chain through the slip hook in the center securing the chain to one of the grab hooks. This seemed like a very versatile system that distributed the load on the bucket (angle iron reinforcement) with a great deal of adjustment. If I wasn’t having a senior moment, I would remember who posted the system in the past./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkV