Toys and Dog in the Driveway

/ Toys and Dog in the Driveway #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Just "testing" a new coupler for my FEL hydraulics and took a shot of my JD 4100 with the other "toys" in the driveway. Our Red Border Collie "Tip" decided he would like to ham it up and have his picture taken. You will notice - he has his signature frisbee in his mouth. He is not far from that yellow frisbee, sun up to sun down.

Terry

Attachments

• 35-77982-ToysandDog.jpg
    35-77982-ToysandDog.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 152
   / Toys and Dog in the Driveway #2  
Never mind the toys. You have a bitumen driveway!!!

How long and expensive is it?

OK - The toys are OK too. What are they??

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue>

/ Toys and Dog in the Driveway
The driveway is about 200 ft long. Believe it or not - it's asphalt. Reclaimed asphalt!! In the US, the asphalt roads are grinded down a few inches for new blacktop to be applied. The byproduct of the grinding is called millings. We used to be able to get the stuff for $5 a ton. In most cases, it still has enough tar to be rolled and if done during the middle of summer, you will have a good driveway. I had the driveway sealed professionally once and it has been holding up fairly well. Total cost five years ago materials, labor, and sealing was just under $1000.

The silver toy is a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe - based upon a Mitsubishi platform.

The big blue toy is my Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4wd. The vehicle of choice for our family weekend outings.

The little bit of white showing behind the truck is my old commuting car. It is basically awaiting its new driver - my oldest daughter!!! Good starter car.

Terry

/ Toys and Dog in the Driveway #4  
TerryinMD,

Now that's liven'. How do you like the 4100 by now?

Buck

/ Toys and Dog in the Driveway #5  
I don't think we can get that stuff. Mine is about 300' long and badly needs something done. It is just rocks at present and gets badly washed out IF it ever rains here.

One day......

Nah don't recognise those cars although I have heard of a Dodge Ram.

Cheers

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue>

Neil,

Try this url - Dogde products if you desire.

As far as your driveway, kinda hard to provide advice since I don't know much about materials in your part of the world. Oh, yeah - me being country acronym challanged - OZ??

Buck

Thank you for asking. I like it a lot. If I had one complaint, it would be that I should have bought a 4200 or 4300. Some of the things I do seem to push the 4100 to its limits (bigger is always better /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). A few more horsepower and some additional weight would help with that situation.

Terry

/ Toys and Dog in the Driveway #7  
Hey Terry,

I don't see the front license plate on that Stratus (Which Maryland requires). What's up with that?

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland
sm-gatorhead.gif

Gatorboy,

Good eyes!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Ahhhh - you haven't found out the secret yet!!!!

Buy your car in PA!! I haven't gotten the MD plates yet. The car is just a couple of weeks old. It's going to the dealer on Monday to fix some superficial marks on the front bumper and their going to put on the plates and I'll be ready to go.

Terry

/ Toys and Dog in the Driveway #9  
Terry, last Spring my brother had several truckloads of that recycled asphalt put on his driveway (pretty good stuff). He just spread it with my Kubota and it's held up very well without doing anything else to it, but the place he bought it told him if he'd spray it with a thin coat of diesel during the hot weather and then roll it, it'd be just about like regular, new asphalt paving.

Bird

Bird,

You were given some good solid information about using diesel or kerosene to help the millings stick.

Our development has 6 miles of roads which are maintained by our home owners association. We have had pretty good success with most of the applications. We use the kero/diesel trick when we patch potholes. Works very well.

Two related problems occur with millings. The first is sometimes you'll get a load or two that have been milled from older roads. The tar content is old and brittle and does not like to bond. The kero/diesel treatment removes the remaining tar. If the tar content is low and the road/driveway is in a shady area. You will get a lot of loose millings that break away during the winter months. The first fifty feet of my driveway is slowly disappearing. The last 150 or so feet are just fine because it gets a lot of sunshine and dries quickly. Even in the winter.

I had my driveway done when we were doing our roads a few years back. So the cost was considerably less because the equipment was on site.

Terry.