Dumber then Dirt

/ Dumber then Dirt #11  
Bird, s/he's on sensory overload, just like a little kid at an amusement park! I had a Newfy that was the same way, perfect in the house and yard, but get him in a car, forget it. And this dog was a star pupil in obedience school. The current Newfy loves the ride but settles down once we leave the driveway. Don't you wish life were that simple? You make their day with a ride in the car, smile....

/ Dumber then Dirt #12  
Terry, we don't know exactly how old Buster is. We got him at the dog pound a year and a half ago, and they (and our vet) guessed him to be about a year old at that time. And he minds pretty well around the house, but I've never seen a dog get so darned excited about going for a ride.

Bird

/ Dumber then Dirt #13  
<font color=blue>on sensory overload</font color=blue>

Me, too, after a short time in the truck with that rascal./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif We went riding around for about 45 minutes yesterday afternoon, looking at the water level in the lake, a couple of new homes under construction, and some plowing being done with one of those big 8 wheeled, articulated tractors (land that's just been natural pasture until now), and when we got back, as usual he made a mad dash for the water bowl for a long drink, then a nap./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Dumber then Dirt
<font color=blue>The camera and computer are dumb as dirt</font color=blue> I'm in good company.
huckflynn, with your help I found a link [Nikon Tech Support. Seems there are a couple of problems, 2000ME compatability and uploading new firmware to the camera if it has a disposable battery. The camera was purchased prior to 2000ME release so nobody to cuss at here.
<font color=blue>What kind of laptop? </font color=blue> ejb it's a Dell Inspiron 3800. I haven't had in problems with this machine, except for this it has been fine. Can't cuss Dell for this problem.
<font color=blue>no damage other than a slightly skinned knee.</font color=blue>Damn middle buster and plow, bet that hurt. Bird, at least you had something to cuss at/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks to all for the help, with the scary procedure to down load the upgrade, I think I will hand it to the factory repair guy. I use this camera at work with windows 98 and it works just fine.
Al

/ Dumber then Dirt #15  
Al,
Have you tried plugging your camera into your computer with the camera on then rebooted your computer? I have Windows ME on my computer and thats what I had to do to get Windows ME to see my webcam.

Wally <font color=green>JD 750 "GATOR"</font color=green>

/ Dumber then Dirt
Wally,

No, of all the things I had done that was not on the list. So.. I just tried it, camera on + cold boot = no cigar. I think I need the 2000ME upgrade. The web site warns that if you screw up the upload from their web site your camera may get it's brains scrambled. I will leave bad enough alone for now. Thanks for the thought/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifMaybe I'll upgrade to XP so I can spend the rest of my life trying to get things to work again. I was happy with 3.1, stop the world I want off.
Al

/ Dumber then Dirt #17  
Al, if you even consider the XP thing, check your hardware compatibility before buying XP. It probably will not be compatible if more than a two year old model....but better to be safe on that one!

/ Dumber then Dirt #18  
Al, if you can't download from the camera to the computer with the cables, there might be an alternative. My Olympus came with a serial cable instead of USB, which I've read is supposed to be slow loading. And I wasn't sure I could figure out where to plug it in, even if I could have gotten to the back of the computer (which I figured would be too much trouble). So I bought a Flashpath Floppy Disk adapter by SanDisk, take the little doohickey out of the camera, stick it in this adapter, and poke it in the floppy drive. Very simple for dummies like me who know so little about computers. I've never used the cable to hook my camera and computer together.

Bird

/ Dumber then Dirt
Finally, some help I can understand/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif<font color=blue>take the little doohickey out of the camera, stick it in this adapter, and poke it in the floppy drive. </font color=blue>
My dogs are just like yours Bird, love to go for a ride. Use "go" or "ride" in a sentence and boom their in the back of the truck. They have not learned "not now dumb %&$#." They will stay in the truck for hours before they give up.
The SanDisk sounds like a plan, I'll slip that idea to Mrs Clause. Thanks for the idea.
Al

/ Dumber then Dirt #20  
I had the same basic problem for a while. What I think is happening is that the USB is not reading the camera internal software. What I had to do was turn the camera on and off while connected to get the computer to read the camera. Since I added a 4 port usb hub, the problem went away. Since you are using a USB mouse, I think the mouse is hidding the Camera. Is the Mouse in Port zero , you must have two ports on your computer. Switch the two ports with the mouse and the camera, and see if it can read or detect the camera. A USB is a hot swap device which means as you turn on or connect the USB device, the USB reads the device and test the device to see what it is able to do. Try switching the mouse and the camera connections if that does not help, try a USB HUB but check to see if the camera is powered off the USB port, if it does, get a powered hub.

Dan L