Dumber then Dirt

/ Dumber then Dirt #1  

TWINKLE_TOES

Veteran Member
Conspicuous be it's absense is any photo for this post. Try as I might I can't get the Nikon software to run on my laptop. It's a CoolPix 880 and the laptop runs 2000ME. Everything appears to install fine, but has "connection error, check camera settings and connection" when I try to download any pictures. I am using the USB port. I'm dumber then dirt on this kind of stuff and if anyone has had success with this combination I would appreciate knowing. Then at least I know its me for sure. The only choice I made on installation was "auto" for configuring the COM port. I did unistall and install, still same result "no cigar".

Al/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Dumber then Dirt #2  
Al,

Make sure it's configured for USB port... NOT COM port...

If you have another USB device, try that to make sure the USB is working properly...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Dumber then Dirt
Thanks John, I just switched the mouse over to the USB port and it works fine. I have been messing with this most of the day, this pretty frustrating when you are clueless like me. Thanks again for the suggestion./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Al

/ Dumber then Dirt #4  
Whew! Startled me when I saw the title of this thread; didn't know whether you were talking about me or my dog, but figured we both qualify./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Dumber then Dirt
Bird,
I don't think so. Right now your dog looks like Eienstein compared to me. I'm sure he is smart enough not to mess with something he knows nothing about. This has been quite a day, after messing with this softweary stuff most of the day, my wife sent me to the barn to get some sweet onions and in the dark I stepped square in the middle of a pan of crankcase oil left over from an oil change. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Probably should have posted this in tractor safety cause she wanted to kill me when I tried to come back in the house. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif
Al

/ Dumber then Dirt #6  
The camera and computer are dumb as dirt -- otherwise, they'd settle the matter and leave you out of it. I've got one of the Nikon Coolpix cameras but I use a flashcard adapter in the laptop. I've never tried the USB.

I visited Nikon's website to see if I could any info to help you out. They have online doc for most of the cameras there but I could not find doc for the 880.

I did find an 800 number for technical support that is supposedly available 24/7. 1-800-645-6689. They should be able to help you out.

/ Dumber then Dirt #7  
What kind of laptop? I have an old micron xke 266 laptop with USB and I could never get that to work either. I use one of my desktops instead and never had any problems. I figured it was a problem with the bios on the old laptop and gave up...

/ Dumber then Dirt #8  
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif You know Bird, when I first looked at the subject I said to my self. "Hay does this guy know my dog"

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

a-usa.gif

/ Dumber then Dirt #9  
<font color=blue>in the dark I stepped square in the middle of a pan of crankcase oil</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gifDon't feel too bad, Al. Last Sunday, I played golf, came home in bright sunlight, carried my golf bag into the back corner of the shop building without turning on a light, set it down, turned around, tripped over my middle buster, fell forward onto the cultivator plow, and rolled out onto the concrete floor./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I'm gettin' too old for that kind of nonsense, but fortunately no damage other than a slightly skinned knee./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Now I usually drink two or three beers during a round of golf, but last Sunday, I hadn't even had one (maybe that was the problem)./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

And my dog! How many of you take your dog with you in the car or pickup? I've had lots of dogs ride with me, but never one like this rat terrier. If I leave without him, my wife says he sits by the door crying until I get back, and anytime I open the car or pickup door, he'll try to beat me in there. And as soon as we start moving, he's all over the cab of the truck, trying to see out all 4 directions and once, and making the weirdest sounds I ever heard from a dog - literally. I guess it's something between a bark, whine, and pant, but he sounds just like the laughing hyenas at the zoo; never heard that kind of sounds from a dog. How in the world do you train one to settle down? In the house, I can tell him to sit, lay down, or go to bed, and he does it, but in the truck, he ignores me completely./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 10/28/01 07:51 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Dumber then Dirt #10  
Bird,

Maybe he wants to drive. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

How old is the dog? Does he quiet down when you tell him around the house?

More than likely, he's just plain having fun - it's a dog thing. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Terry