kiwi pic's

/ kiwi pic's #21  
Re: kiwi pic\'s

Nice pictures, jdkid. Those shots really make me want to run out and buy a airplane ticket. Wow! What views!/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif With all those hills, it's easy to see why no-till is the choice for planting. I suspect anything you till up there ends up in the bay when it rains. I'm also curious about your fences. If metal T-posts only last seven years before they rust through, what about your fence-wire? The wire in your photos looks very well preserved and the tensioners also show no signs of rust. Is that a new fence? Also, I noticed an electrical wire on the fence and in another shot a long line of electrical poles. Where is your electricity generated? Has anyone tried wind-generators on those seaside windswept hills? I'm full of questions, but I'll pipe-down for now./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI

/ kiwi pic's

Hi ya
even with out tilling there is someslips where there is alot of clay base if had the cash fenceing off and tree planting would happen but with no handout's for that kinda stuff and dumb bylaws it's hard to do even if ya realy keen..ok our T posts are tared (black looking stuff)ya can buy galva????(?) and also Alu(the light stuff )they will last thats why the fence looks ok it galva or zinc coated the old plain wire no coating rusts fast but like i said to bird it seem's to rust at ground level why i don't realy know maybe someone in chem could come up with a idea..ok power in NZ is mainly hydro with haveing so many hills and rivers it was the best way they looked at building new dam's but some places the greens are putting up a fight ..there is a outfit looking in to wind generators up north and inland south island so time will tell if it happens,where we were in north otago they are look at putting in a canal for hydro power with 6 small dams and water for farmers so hope that goes ahead kinda like one in the USA i think it was the TVA where power and water for farmer come from one project
catch ya
JD Kid

/ kiwi pic's #23  

JD, that rusting at ground level is interesting; can't claim to understand it, but assume it has something to do with the chemistry in the soil. I did leakage surveys for two years for gas companies (natural gas pipelines, distribution lines, meters, etc.) and in one city (maybe I'd better not name the one), it was very common for gas pipes to corrode and leak right at ground level where they came out of the ground and up to the customers' meters. And yet, such leaks were almost non-existent in every other city I worked. But on the Texas coast, it seemed to me that everything above ground rusts/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif; don't know about below ground. And of course, another big difference to me is your lava rock compared to our sand at the water's edge. I think your terrain leaves much cleaner, clearer looking water, although admittedly, the ship and boat traffic and other factors may play a part also.

BirdSig.jpg

/ kiwi pic's #24  

JD Kid

Hey great pics. My wife is always at me to take her over there on holidays. We have some rellies in Queenstown.

After seeing those photos, I think I will some time soon.

Cheaper to fly the NZ than some places in OZ !

Looks great. Better than my dry dusty hole !

Cheers

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ kiwi pic's #25  

JD kid,

My brother was looking very seriously into moving to NZ about 15 years ago. At the time he said they were very strict on who they will allow to move there. I think he said it was either because they didn't want people moving in to displace NZ workers or they just wanted to be sure that there was a need for whatever line of work you were in. Is this still true?

Also, I was watching a movie with Michael J. Fox in it called the Frighteners. I'm pretty sure is was filmed in NZ. One of the scenes overlooked a body of water from hillsides that look almost exactly like your harbour shot. Truly breathtaking!

New Zealand and Austrailia....the only two places outside of this country I'd really like to go someday!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

2-88572-tbird8k.gif

/ kiwi pic's

Hi ya
they have eazed up abit on who can come in ...as for movies there is a climbing one that come out last year the name i can't recall and the new lord of the rings i have some mates who were extras in fight, and horse back riders if ya get a chance go see it from what i have heard it background shots are realy cool if ya into landscapes
catch ya
JD Kid

/ kiwi pic's

Hi ya
queenstown is a great place bit steep for this boy $$$$$$$ might be a bit cheeper at the mo as afew people are not flying
catch ya
JD Kid

/ kiwi pic's #28  

Jeff

It is a long standing joke (truth ??) about now many kiwis coming over to live here in OZ.

We let them in by the truckload so I hope they are as obliging !!

Cheers

When you come to OZ & NZ, let me & JD know.

Then we can holiday in the US !

Cheers

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ kiwi pic's

Hi ya
yep heaps of kiwi's end up in Oz ,a few aussies come here but we get more islanders up north ..
oh yea do any of ya get the discovery channel ??if so keep a eye out for the "southern cross"is a big race in the hills of NZ it's just started here and shows some of our better country
catch ya
JD Kid

/ kiwi pic's #30  

Thanks for your answers, jdkid. Let's hope the conditions which caused the TVA to be established never happen in NZ. Maybe one of these days we'll learn how to make better use of wind and sunlight so these massive dam projects don't have to be done. Until then, hydro-electric is certainly the cleanest form of energy we have.

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI