Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
These first ones are of my "Aggie Tower" made for my daughter who went to A&M (hence the Texas A&M sticker and color). The green one and white one are with her highschool wildcat color and logo. The large cylinder (A&M) is an old oxygen cylinder, the smaller one above it on tower is a CO2 cylinder. The white one with green logo is oxygen cylinder, the large green one with white logo is an old anhydrous ammonia cylinder.

You will notice on the pickup a longhorn with horns sawed off (Texas Longhorns, rival of Texas A&M), the horns actually "dangle" going down the road.

Attachments

• Aggie windchime.pdf
    470 KB · Views: 1,432
  • Wildcat windchimes.pdf
    690.9 KB · Views: 793
   / Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #2  
Afternoon BTDT,
Real nice job, sure would like to hear what they sound like :)

Couldnt look too long, I was gettin a stiff neck :)

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #3  
Very nice BTDT, sure would like to hear them.

Scotty, try the little rotate button in Acrobat. It works wonders for the neck!

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #4  
RobS said:
Very nice BTDT, sure would like to hear them.

Scotty, try the little rotate button in Acrobat. It works wonders for the neck!

Thanks Rob,
Much better :)

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders
When I first put these up, I thought I would get tired of the sound (didn't know exactly what they would sound like). The small chime on top is the one that kind of clangs, the bottom one just has a real deep tone. I don't hardly even notice them now when outside. The big green one on the wood framework is about 100' from front porch, and it is so low sounding you can't hear it unless you walk closer to it. Real relaxing when sitting on porch swing with the wife sippin' a glass of tea.

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #6  
Some years back I attended a local gun show where a guy was selling wind chimes made from old gas cylinders and of all things Howitzer shell casings. They looked and sounded great with a real deep tone.

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #7  
In my old days over in czechoslovakia I was part of water boy scouts and we camped for a month every summer.

Now since we were water scouts/sailors:) we did things the marine way - like time was meassured in watches - not sure about the english here but one watch is 4 hours and you add one bell every 30 minutes - I am sure somebody is familiar with it.

We used an old shell from houfnice - the czech word that howitzer developed from - about 120mm or so. Beautiful sound, you could hear it for kilometers in the woods.

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders
czechsonofagun said:
In my old days over in czechoslovakia I was part of water boy scouts and we camped for a month every summer.

Now since we were water scouts/sailors:) we did things the marine way - like time was meassured in watches - not sure about the english here but one watch is 4 hours and you add one bell every 30 minutes - I am sure somebody is familiar with it.

We used an old shell from houfnice - the czech word that howitzer developed from - about 120mm or so. Beautiful sound, you could hear it for kilometers in the woods.
That's interesting. I had actually thought about trying to put some kind of clockworks in one to see if I could make somekind of outdoor clock. Work kind of like a grandfather clock, sound off on the hour and half hour. These things are pretty loud if tapped a with hammer.

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #9  
You got me inspired too - next time I have an empty cylinder, I am gonna give it a shot:)

/ Windchimes made from old Oxygen cylinders #10  
czechsonofagun, I have nautical background and assure you that the watch system used in the USA (borrowed from England) is just as you described. I have a ship strike clock that I had on the sailboat we lived on for 9 years.

I have a neighbor with industrial sized windchime. It is over a quarter of a mile away and I can hear it clearly except when one particular friend of his visits him because when he arrives he disables it.

Pat