Gettin' out of the house

/ Gettin' out of the house #1  

pdxman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B6200 HST
Gettin\' out of the house

Well, I fellt like getting out of the house today so started a little project. Also happened to put the camera in my pocket and document along the way. Todays project was to put a culvert in a small creek which would give me some access to parts of my property previously inaccessable with the tractor. There is a horse trail on the other side of the creek that leads up to the house and barn and could use some regular 'housekeeping'. Bought 8 feet of 12 inch pipe (local code) at a discount for being a short piece ($20) and brought in 2 loads of rock with my pickup at $10 each. So, fairly cheap project also. Heres the pic of the culvert in the creek and just putting some crushed rock around/over it...

Attachments

• 35-97661-culvert_0014.jpg
    35-97661-culvert_0014.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 141
   / Gettin' out of the house
Re: Gettin\' out of the house

Heres looking upstream and have a little more rock on top.

Attachments

• 35-97664-culvert_0019.jpg
    35-97664-culvert_0019.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 120

Once I got enough rock on top to bridge over, I was able to finally give the little tractor a taste of the dirt on the other side by doing a little leveling.

Attachments

• 35-97665-culvert_0021.jpg
    35-97665-culvert_0021.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 111
   / Gettin' out of the house #4  

Did you have to get a permit to do this? In our area, that might be considered a driveway. When we built our barn we had to put a pipe into a drainage ditch to create a driveway to get onto the property. One of our kind neighbors reported us to the township, who sent us a registered letter. This letter stated that each parcel is allowed one driveway onto a public road. To have more than one driveway would require an exception. Fortunately, our 5.2 acres consists of 3 parcels. Our house is on one and has one driveway. The same is true for the barn, so we did not need an exception.

Behind the tractor you can see the trail going up the hill. In front of it is a pile of wood that I'll burn. I am standing on another trail that leads back to where the creek comes out my property and where I have some new trees planted.

Attachments

• 35-97669-culvert_0022.jpg
    35-97669-culvert_0022.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 110

No Mike, I didn't get a permit. Thought about it, but figured they'd charge me more than what the job is costing me. If someone wants to make an issue with it, I'll play dumb and deal with it then. I don't think I'll have any problems though.

Here's a pic of the horse trail going up the hill to the house and barn...

Attachments

• 35-97672-culvert_0024.jpg
    35-97672-culvert_0024.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 116

And finally, looking down from the trail to the entrance...

Attachments

• 35-97674-culvert_0025.jpg
    35-97674-culvert_0025.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 98
   / Gettin' out of the house #8  

nice to see some green in the woods, have not seen anything but white for awhile/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif form the looks of your pic. glad u have ags n your tractor?

Frank, compared to what Buffalo got hit with, I'll take the rain anyday! As far as the ag tires go, couldn't do anything without them. Going over the culvert the first time I had to back over, in low, max rpm, and differential locked. Once over, I leveled the slope a bit.

/ Gettin' out of the house #10  

pdxman -

I know well the satisfaction of crossing a new culvert to reach virgin territory. /w3tcompact/icons/king.gif

I'm curious though -- is your culvert intended to be permanent? I only ask 'cuz I don't see from the pictures what's going to keep it from washing away when that creek gets to really rippin'.
crazy.gif
I put in several on my property, using sandbags filled with redi-mix to face them off with. In addition I arranged rocks to help shield the upstream side from erosion. Even so, one of them washed out the first winter and I had to rebuild it. Poured a concrete face this time. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for sharing the picts.