Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #11  
Mornin Bird,
Ive never seen that done before ! That is quite interesting, and Im sure that rebar was used and done properly, just for the simple fact that it would become an expensive failure if that wall were to collapse ! Your first picture shows a nice looking wall at a distance, also the second pic about the same. The third pic with the paper flapping in the breeze is not so appealing :rolleyes: If it were my wall I would probablly be scaling the wall and ripping the remaining paper off ! :)

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete
MarEng said:
The seawall around the Barque Elissa in Galveston, Texas was built this way.

Will, do you know where there are any pictures? It's been 30 years since I last visited Galveston and I've never seen the Barque Elissa or the seawall around it.

Well, I sure missed my guess about the age of that retaining wall. I just learned it was built "between 2 and 3 years ago, closer to 3 years."

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #14  
Bird said:
Well, I sure missed my guess about the age of that retaining wall. I just learned it was built "between 2 and 3 years ago, closer to 3 years."

Bird, I've seen entire creek banks rip-rapped with bags. I think there is one here in Grapevine and I'm sure there is one in Irving. I'll try to get some pictures. Both of them are about 12' high and around 1/4 mile long. But hey! City workers have lots of time and taxpayers have lots of money. Right?;)

Actually, I think they do this where they don't want to build forms. The banks can be prepped and bagged in the time it would take to build forms and rebar. It's probably not that much more expensive than a concrete pour and it may be even less if the concrete bags are bought in "city" quantities.

may be even less if the concrete bags are bought in "city" quantities

Jim, it's an unfortunate fact of life that governmental agencies write specs, send out for bids, buy large quantities, and still sometimes pay a lot more than your or I, as individuals, could buy the same things for. Many companies bid very high because they know what a nuisance the paperwork will be, and many cities, such as Dallas, are very slow pay.

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #17  
I guess I can say that I've never seen that before....pretty smart. Now the wheels are turning in my head as to where I can do that around here.

Cool post, thanks!

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #18  
The railroad around my area uses this method often any time they need a small retaining wall for a communication box or signal equipment.

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #19  
Stacking all of those is back breaking but how about moving all of those from the store or wherever they come from, No matter how you look at it, it was a hard job and Bird, I noticed the PVC drain tubes but you beat me to it
Jim:)

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #20  
I noticed the PVC drain tubes but you beat me to it

Wonder if those drain tubes were even necessary? I would think there might be enough space between the ends of the bags, even after hardening, to allow seepage, unless there were some major drainage issues.